47 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    45 °
    47 °
    50 °
    53 °
    56 °
    59 °
    61 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    54 °
May 2
50°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
55°/ 44°
Moderate rain

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

47 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    45 °
    47 °
    50 °
    53 °
    56 °
    59 °
    61 °
    64 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    54 °
May 2
50°/ 47°
Heavy rain
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
55°/ 44°
Moderate rain

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

Celebrate Earth Day on April 22

Earth Day activity guide
Celebrate+Earth+Day+on+April+22+by+helping+to+protect+the+environment.+
Designed by Norah Sletten
Celebrate Earth Day on April 22 by helping to protect the environment.

Annually, Earth Day is celebrated on April 22. This day is dedicated to promoting environmental protection. Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970, but its roots date back to 1960 when pollution became a growing concern. Every year, Earth Day has a theme. In an effort to demand a 60% decrease in plastic production by 2040, this year’s Earth Day theme is “Planet vs. Plastic.” 

To celebrate Earth Day, individuals can engage in a number of environmentally friendly activities. From cleaning up plastic around the community to educating oneself about the changing environment, keep reading to learn more about ways to commemorate Earth Day. 

CLEAN UP PLASTIC

A simple way to connect with the Earth is by cleaning up around the community. This can be done by going on a walk around the neighborhood with a trash bag and reusable gloves. Trash and plastic can be found in numerous areas around the community, especially in nearby ditches or drainage areas. 

VISIT A LOCAL PARK

Spending time outside has plenty of benefits on one’s mental health. According to the American Psychological Association, exposure to nature improves memory, lowers stress levels and lengthens one’s attention span. Owatonna has an array of green areas perfect for celebrating Earth Day: Mineral Springs, Central Park, Manthey Park, Leo Rudolph Nature Reserve, etc. 

DONATE OLD CLOTHES

Today, fast fashion has become increasingly popular. While the clothes are produced cheaply, the manufacturing process has harmful effects on the environment. Donating gently used clothes reduces the amount of waste in one’s closet, while also providing a sustainable option for those shopping for new clothes. 

Second-hand shopping has become more popular among teens at OHS. Sophomore Boldin Krause said, “I love thrifting because the clothes are more unique and it is more environmentally friendly.”

REDUCE WATER USAGE

Across the world, communities are facing droughts and water scarcity. There are multiple ways to reduce one’s daily water usage. This includes shortening shower time, turning off the faucet while brushing one’s teeth and assuring that no faucets have leaks or drips. While this is a great way to celebrate Earth Day, it is also a simple practice to make one’s daily routine more environmentally friendly. 

EDUCATE ONESELF ON ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGES

It can be easy to become too focused on one’s own issues, especially as a busy teenager. However, it is important to recognize problems in society and it can be quite easy to do so. To learn more about the environment and the problems it is facing, visit earthday.org

Norah Sletten
Norah Sletten, Editor
Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved in Owatonna Girls Cross Country, Rotary Club and Drama Club. Outside of school, she is a part of the Youth Oriented Leadership Organization (YOLO), a mental health and anti-tobacco advocacy group in Steele County. Sletten enjoys listening to music, hanging out with friends and working as a barista at Hyvee Starbucks. In her future, she hopes to attend Carleton College and major in Cinema and Media Studies.