61 °
    63 °
    65 °
    66 °
    66 °
    66 °
    64 °
    61 °
    58 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    49 °
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
56°/ 46°
May 5
64°/ 40°
Sunny

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

61 °
    63 °
    65 °
    66 °
    66 °
    66 °
    64 °
    61 °
    58 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    49 °
May 3
67°/ 43°
Sunny
May 4
56°/ 46°
May 5
64°/ 40°
Sunny

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Softball is up to bat

Ella Highfield
    Kendra Bogen fields a ground ball at the new softball field at OHS.

Spring is here and that means that the softball team is back and ready to play. The team has a new home field at the OHS. The new softball field is located directly behind the school and has a great atmosphere for softball.

The Huskies started off their season strong with a 19-0 shutout against the Austin Packers. The Huskies high-powered offense along with their strong pitching staff should be a good recipe for a team that can make a run in section play. Head coach Jeremy Moran said, “The team is looking strong. We have a very deep, very experienced varsity roster with several returning starters. Our offensive lineup is pretty solid 1-9 and we have a lot of talent at the pitching position.”

In the Huskies home opener, they beat Rochester Mayo 7-5. Senior Captain Elizabeth Radel said, “A big part of our success is that the entire order is hitting well, it’s not just the top five or six hitters. It’s all batters, one through nine.”

Coach Moran said, “The new field is completely artificial turf, a new surface from their old field which was a dirt infield and grass outfield.” The turf infield is a new aspect of the game that the Huskies will have to adjust to. Radel said, ”There are many noticeable differences between the new and old fields. The turf is much faster when fielding ground balls, and the hops off the ground are much more predictable.”

After losing a tough game to a talented New Prague team, the Huskies bounced back and won their weekend double-header by a combined 31 total points. Senior Captain Taya Selbrade said, “We have a lot of team chemistry, hopefully we can utilize it this season to carry us through.”

The Huskies are also bringing back an incredibly experienced team. All nine of the Huskies starters played significant innings last season so the Huskies are one of the most experienced teams in their conference. Coach Moran said, “Some keys to staying successful will be to remain consistent on defense, find ways to score runs against elite pitching, and continuing to support each other then things don’t go our way in a game.”

The Big 9 is very talented this season. There are some very talented teams like New Prague, Mankato East, and Mankato West. Selbrade said, “When we get to sections we will face some really skilled teams, such as Farmington and both Lakeville schools.”

The Huskies next game is on Monday, April 22, at home against Mankato East.

About the Contributors
    Ethan Armstrong
    Ethan Armstrong, Writer
    Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends, being active outside, going on walks with his dog, and playing sports. He lives with his mom, dad, and sister. Being loyal, trustworthy and respectful are three important characteristics about him. He plans to go to a four year college but is not sure of a major yet. This is his second year being on magnet staff. He joined Magnet last year because he wanted to amplify his journalism and photography skills.
    Ella Highfield
    Ella Highfield, Editor
    Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving Minds. Highfield joined Magnet because she took journalism as a sophomore and really enjoyed being apart of Magnet last year. Her future plans include going to a college for cosmetology school, and afterward becoming a hairstylist.