43 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    49 °
    53 °
    55 °
    58 °
    59 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    62 °
    59 °
    56 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
May 5
64°/ 42°
Sunny
May 6
68°/ 47°
Sunny
May 7
70°/ 54°

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

43 °
    43 °
    44 °
    46 °
    49 °
    53 °
    55 °
    58 °
    59 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    62 °
    59 °
    56 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
May 5
64°/ 42°
Sunny
May 6
68°/ 47°
Sunny
May 7
70°/ 54°

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Taylor Swift astounds fans by releasing a surprise double album

Design by Luca Gfrerer
Canva graphic displaying a vinyl record titled “The Tortured Poets Department”.

On April 19, singer-songwriter Taylor Swift released her much anticipated eleventh studio album, The Tortured Poets Department. What fans were not prepared for was her release of an additional album, The Tortured Poets Department: The Anthology, that same day. The double album is climbing the charts and Swift’s followers are raving about each and every new track.

A total of 31 songs are included on both of the albums, including collaborations with artists like Post Malone on “Fortnight” and Florence and the Machine on “Florida!!!” The album’s original tracks are written and produced by a variety of songwriters such as Jack Antonoff, Aaron Dessner and even Swift herself.

Many fans had high expectations for the largely advertised album, and even higher expectations when a second album was announced and released. A long time Taylor Swift fan, OHS junior Emery Vick said, “The Tortured Poets Department is so amazing because of Taylor’s songwriting. Every lyric has such a unique meaning which is really cool. It is also so exciting that it is a double album, so you get twice the amount of new songs.”

Most fans have described this double album as being a mixture of both Folklore and Midnights. Swift’s lyrics range from having deep poetic tones to upbeat sounds and words that keep listeners on the edge of their seats from beginning to end. Paraphrased from an article by Rolling Stone, this album was an ambitious step in Swift’s music career, yet it is exactly what fans wanted.   

Some common themes among many of Swift’s other albums include love, heartbreak, and self-discovery, and The Tortured Poets Department and The Anthology are no exception. A multitude of the newly released tracks like “So Long, London” and “The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived” are about past relationships with Matty Healy and Joe Alwyn. They tell the heartbreaking stories of love, loss and moving on. Some of her other songs, including “So High School” are about her current relationship with NFL player Travis Kelce

Swift’s new albums are sure to evoke a variety of emotions in listeners. OHS junior Jordan Otte said, “Taylor’s new album is so good and really shows how she does not only do pop music, but also does sad music. It shows us what she goes through and what she deals with in her life.”Both albums are available for streaming on all music platforms including Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music and Pandora. To buy Swift’s new TTPD merch, visit her Official Website.

Luca Gfrerer
Luca Gfrerer, Writer
Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is involved in band, dance and colorguard and is a manager for the school's football team. Outside of school, Gfrerer enjoys reading, listening to music, watching movies and hanging out with her friends.