52 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    46 °
    49 °
    53 °
    56 °
    58 °
    60 °
    61 °
    63 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    63 °
    60 °
May 4
54°/ 45°
May 5
64°/ 42°
Sunny
May 6
68°/ 47°
Partly Cloudy

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

52 °
    50 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    43 °
    46 °
    49 °
    53 °
    56 °
    58 °
    60 °
    61 °
    63 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    63 °
    60 °
May 4
54°/ 45°
May 5
64°/ 42°
Sunny
May 6
68°/ 47°
Partly Cloudy

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Sprinting to the finish

Ella Highfield
Juniors Seth Johnson and Darian Stransky compete in hurdles at home track meet.

The Owatonna Boys Track team has had a strong start to the season including a state best and school record 4×200 meter relay team run by seniors Garrett Karsten and Keenan Larson and juniors Nolan Ginskey and Luke Webber. This is just one of many highlights in the early part of the season. 

One of the most important meets this season is The Hamline Elite meet on April 26. The Hamline Elite meet consists of the top teams of the state which the huskies are participating in. Senior captain Jacob Ginskey said, “For some of us to qualify for the meet is pretty awesome. It’s the best of the best so the competition is going to push us to be our best and show us where we need to be by the end of the season.” The Huskies will look to compete and show where they rank within the state’s top teams and competitors. 

There are high hopes this season as the Huskies look to defend their Big 9 title. Head Coach Kevin Stelter said, “Our expectations are to win the Big 9 for the 3rd consecutive year, and Finish very high in the True Team Section and Section meets. The goal is to also send two  relays and six  individuals to State in June.” The Huskies although did lose some talent with seniors graduating the underclassman and seniors of this year’s team has stepped up in a big way. 

When preparing for a long season there are a lot of factors that play into it. Coach Stelter said, “Working hard in practice and figuring out where our strengths as well as our weaknesses lie and how we can maximize our strengths and minimize our weaknesses. By this we run different kids in some different events to see where they best fit into our line-up.” The Huskies have a very versatile team and are well rounded which is a reason why they have been so successful for many years. 

The boys next meet is on Tuesday, April 30 at Rochester Century at 4:30 p.m.

About the Contributors
Owen Smith
Owen Smith, Writer
Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved in baseball, basketball, NHS, DECA, and BBBS. When he is not playing baseball and basketball Smith enjoys hanging out with his friends and spending time with his family. He is a really big sports fan and enjoys watching all the Minnesota sports teams. Smith is looking forward to his first year in Magnet and learning more about the student body and becoming a better writer. 
Ella Highfield
Ella Highfield, Editor
Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving Minds. Highfield joined Magnet because she took journalism as a sophomore and really enjoyed being apart of Magnet last year. Her future plans include going to a college for cosmetology school, and afterward becoming a hairstylist.