58 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    55 °
    57 °
    61 °
    63 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
    60 °
    58 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
May 7
68°/ 53°
May 8
65°/ 50°
Heavy rain
May 9
58°/ 44°

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

58 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    55 °
    57 °
    61 °
    63 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
    60 °
    58 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
May 7
68°/ 53°
May 8
65°/ 50°
Heavy rain
May 9
58°/ 44°

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Upcoming commencement speaker tryouts

Designed by Victoria Contreras
Commencement speaker for the class of 2024, tryout if you’re interested!

As we’re getting ready to wrap up the school year, not only is the school year ending, but the class of 2024 will be graduating and will move on to new beginnings. After spending four years at the Owatonna High School they will start a new chapter. They want a recap of their years so far as well as some words of encouragement. 

Commencement speeches have been done for many years. It has been a big part of the graduating class. Not only does it spotlight every senior that is graduating as well them being recognized for their accomplishments, which then they will receive a diploma for. Having a commencement speaker brings out the student voice. A ceremony dedicated to the class of 2024 so voices can always be heard. OHS senior Hailey Miller said, “As a senior I’m looking forward to it as it would be good to hear. As everyone goes somewhere after high school I think that everyone should make something out of themselves after high school. I feel like encouragement is really important, especially since we’re leaving high school and starting a new chapter.” Graduating seniors are closing a big chapter of their lives so words of encouragement will be good to hear. 

The process for selecting someone starts off as students given the opportunity to sign up. They will receive a google form where they can sign up to give a speech which will be on Thursday, May 2 after school. Once the students get there each student will give their speech, there will be a rubric that the staff and other individuals will use to critique the speeches. They will do a rating scale and at the end of the rating scale. They will have a discussion about the rating which people will have about how the speech was and they will give their input. After, the two students  will be chosen to speak at commencement. 

OHS Principal Kory Kath said, “I think it will be a special day to recognize that this is the first speech given within this campus. To recognize that and what a big milestone is as the class of 2024 to be the first class for this new school. That will be really special for those speakers and for the class itself”. With the new high school, the Class of 2024 will be the first class to graduate as well as give a speech that will be memorable and touch people’s lives. 

The last day to sign up for commencement is Friday, April 26. Tryouts will be Thursday, May 2 after school. 

Victoria Contreras
Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that being in Magnet will help her achieve that. It is also a great way to see what other students are doing and getting to know more about the school. Contreras is involved in YoungLife, Thriving Minds, Girls United and Track and Field. Outside of school, she enjoys hanging out with her friends and family, being active, shopping and watching Rom Com movies. She is excited to get started and see what her last year has to offer.