66 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    52 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    69 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

66 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    52 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    69 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Upcoming commencement speaker tryouts

Designed by Victoria Contreras
Commencement speaker for the class of 2024, tryout if you’re interested!

As we’re getting ready to wrap up the school year, not only is the school year ending, but the class of 2024 will be graduating and will move on to new beginnings. After spending four years at the Owatonna High School they will start a new chapter. They want a recap of their years so far as well as some words of encouragement. 

Commencement speeches have been done for many years. It has been a big part of the graduating class. Not only does it spotlight every senior that is graduating as well them being recognized for their accomplishments, which then they will receive a diploma for. Having a commencement speaker brings out the student voice. A ceremony dedicated to the class of 2024 so voices can always be heard. OHS senior Hailey Miller said, “As a senior I’m looking forward to it as it would be good to hear. As everyone goes somewhere after high school I think that everyone should make something out of themselves after high school. I feel like encouragement is really important, especially since we’re leaving high school and starting a new chapter.” Graduating seniors are closing a big chapter of their lives so words of encouragement will be good to hear. 

The process for selecting someone starts off as students given the opportunity to sign up. They will receive a google form where they can sign up to give a speech which will be on Thursday, May 2 after school. Once the students get there each student will give their speech, there will be a rubric that the staff and other individuals will use to critique the speeches. They will do a rating scale and at the end of the rating scale. They will have a discussion about the rating which people will have about how the speech was and they will give their input. After, the two students  will be chosen to speak at commencement. 

OHS Principal Kory Kath said, “I think it will be a special day to recognize that this is the first speech given within this campus. To recognize that and what a big milestone is as the class of 2024 to be the first class for this new school. That will be really special for those speakers and for the class itself”. With the new high school, the Class of 2024 will be the first class to graduate as well as give a speech that will be memorable and touch people’s lives. 

The last day to sign up for commencement is Friday, April 26. Tryouts will be Thursday, May 2 after school. 

Victoria Contreras
Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that being in Magnet will help her achieve that. It is also a great way to see what other students are doing and getting to know more about the school. Contreras is involved in YoungLife, Thriving Minds, Girls United and Track and Field. Outside of school, she enjoys hanging out with her friends and family, being active, shopping and watching Rom Com movies. She is excited to get started and see what her last year has to offer.