68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    60 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    63 °
    63 °
    65 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    70 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    64 °
May 20
72°/ 60°
May 21
74°/ 52°
Heavy rain
May 22
67°/ 48°
Partly Cloudy

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    60 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    63 °
    63 °
    65 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    70 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    64 °
May 20
72°/ 60°
May 21
74°/ 52°
Heavy rain
May 22
67°/ 48°
Partly Cloudy

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Student’s guide to using the OHS bathrooms

Being+respectful+throughout+spaces+keeps+our+bathrooms+clean+and+safe.+
Ella Williams
Being respectful throughout spaces keeps our bathrooms clean and safe.

Using the bathroom is something that everyone does, and is an inevitable part of day-to-day life. School bathrooms can be intimidating for some people, but using basic manners and respect in the restroom is something that keeps bathrooms clean and more comfortable to use. Here is a do and don’t guide to using the bathrooms at OHS. This will help keep the bathrooms from being locked for cleaning and security.

DON’Ts

Don’t just hang out in the bathroom for fun. Throughout the school day, especially during passing time, people tend to hang out in the bathrooms in large groups. With this, it is not necessary to have more than one person per stall. This can be extremely intimidating for people who just need to do their business. When passing time is five minutes long, the people who need to use the restroom now have to wait longer than necessary while also still having to make it to class on time. On top of this, hanging out in a bathroom for fun is gross. 

Don’t use substances in the bathrooms. We have all experienced seeing people do this. This should be a given, but yet it still happens. Once again, a bathroom is not the place for this. It’s gross. 

Don’t vandalize the bathrooms. Although some of the graffiti is positive, it is still disrespectful to the janitorial staff. This is extra work and time for them to scrub off of the stalls. 

Many of these don’ts should go without saying. We all learned bathroom etiquette as children and, as high schoolers, should know better. There are plenty of things that we should be doing to keep our bathrooms nice. 

DOs

Do flush the toilets after use. No one enjoys walking into a stall to see an unflushed toilet. 

Do wash your hands. Germs spread like crazy. The recommended time to wash your hands is at least 20 seconds, which is not a ridiculous amount of time. Using soap and warm water ensures the spread of germs is more controlled throughout the building. 

Do throw your trash away in the garbage cans. The trash bin is right by the door, throw your things away on the way out. Paper towels do not belong on the floor. 

Principal Kory Kath says, “We want to keep bathrooms open and convenient and able to be used by all students. Students should respect that by not doing things that are not supposed to be done there.” We have nice new facilities and the students and staff have to keep them that way.

Following basic rules can ensure a safe and more comfortable environment for students using the bathroom. This is as easy as just having baseline respect for the people and locations around the school. 

Ella Williams
Ella Williams, Writer
Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife. She enjoys spending time with friends and family and being outdoors. Over the summer she went to Clearwater Cove with YoungLife and worked at the Blast, a local ice cream shop. Williams plans to go to medical school after high school, and wants to go into pediatrics. She is looking forward to learning more about the activities that go on at the school while also navigating the new OHS building.