66 °
    69 °
    71 °
    70 °
    72 °
    69 °
    68 °
    62 °
    57 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    50 °
    52 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
May 21
74°/ 51°
Heavy rain
May 22
68°/ 48°
May 23
75°/ 55°
Sunny

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

66 °
    69 °
    71 °
    70 °
    72 °
    69 °
    68 °
    62 °
    57 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    50 °
    52 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
May 21
74°/ 51°
Heavy rain
May 22
68°/ 48°
May 23
75°/ 55°
Sunny

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

OHS girls track runs through the spring season

Ella Highfield
Freshmen Johanna Spielman and Lauren Kollar hand off in the 4×100.

The Owatonna Girls Track season has begun and The team has had a few successful meets already this season. The Huskies have a really well balanced team with 120 girls. They have been putting in endless amounts of work getting ready for the season. 

Senior sprinter captain Laken Meier, is a big part of the team’s success. Meier is committed to Colorado Christian University next year to run for the track team. Meier said, “To me being a track captain means a lot. Especially since the track team is one of the biggest teams, having that many girls look up to me and see me as a leader means a lot.”

The new high school has brought many good things for the track team. The new indoor track has been a great addition as it gave the team the opportunity to get going right away with their season. Meier says, “The new track is definitely nice, especially having a designed space for us to practice inside. The new weight room is also nice because it allows us to be able to do more.”

Girls Track Head Coach Debby Gleason is in her second year of coaching and is looking for another successful season. Coach Gleason said, “ I’m most looking forward to seeing the results of the hard work some of these girls have consistently put in over the past couple years pay off.” The Huskies have been doing really well with a lot of new personal bests this season and look to have many more in the future.

Support of the team and environment is what makes the team successful and gives the girls excitement to go back to practice everyday. Coach Gleason said, “My favorite part of track is seeing girls get a new personal best no matter where they are compared to other athletes. When they set a new PR, it’s fun to celebrate with them.” 

Recently, the Huskies had a very successful Big 9 Triangular meet in Austin where they placed first. So far the girls track team has had a very successful couple weeks filled with competitive meets and look forward to having many more.

The girls next meet is Tuesday, April 30 at 4:30 p.m. at Rochester Century.

Ella Highfield
Ella Highfield, Editor
Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving Minds. Highfield joined Magnet because she took journalism as a sophomore and really enjoyed being apart of Magnet last year. Her future plans include going to a college for cosmetology school, and afterward becoming a hairstylist.