64 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    59 °
    56 °
    55 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    54 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    67 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

64 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    59 °
    56 °
    55 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    51 °
    54 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    67 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Boys Golf drives their way into the season

Photo Submitted by Coach Langlois
Boys Golf team warming up at the driving range before a meet.

The Owatonna Boys Golf team has started off their season with a bang. In the three meets that they have competed in, they were able to beat eight of the ten teams resulting in their record being 8-2. 

Senior captain Matthew Larson tees off at a meet. (Photo Submitted by Coach Langlois)

This year the team has valuable experience with five of their six players having varsity experience. Head coach Mark Langlois said, “To have the experience we have is a tremendous advantage. They have bought into our system and what makes us successful.” These five leaders can take this team far into the season and make a good run into the postseason. 

The golf team has two captains, Quinn Thompson and Matthew Larson. They are great leaders to this team and have high expectations for the season. Thompson said, “I want us to be top three in the big nine and be undefeated in dual and tri meets. I think we have the skill to accomplish it.” With the five returning players the Huskies will have experience on the course and know what it takes to complete their goals. 

Every year the golf team has tough competition within their own team. This can be great for a team. No one can be satisfied with where they are at. Coach Langlois said, “We have competition for sports and players are spending a lot of time after practice to perfect their shot.” The team pushes each other to be at its best every meet and that will continue to take them to where they want to be. 

The team being experienced helps them in their performance on the course as well. Thompson said, “I think knowing the course we play and having that in the back of my head helps me know what clubs to hit, what shots to hit, and how to hit them.” 

The Huskies next meet is Thursday, May 2 at 2 p.m. at The Northfield Golf Club. 

Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.