66 °
    69 °
    71 °
    70 °
    72 °
    69 °
    68 °
    62 °
    57 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    50 °
    52 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
May 21
74°/ 51°
Heavy rain
May 22
68°/ 48°
May 23
75°/ 55°
Sunny

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

66 °
    69 °
    71 °
    70 °
    72 °
    69 °
    68 °
    62 °
    57 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    52 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    50 °
    52 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
May 21
74°/ 51°
Heavy rain
May 22
68°/ 48°
May 23
75°/ 55°
Sunny

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

Boys Golf drives their way into the season

Photo Submitted by Coach Langlois
Boys Golf team warming up at the driving range before a meet.

The Owatonna Boys Golf team has started off their season with a bang. In the three meets that they have competed in, they were able to beat eight of the ten teams resulting in their record being 8-2. 

Senior captain Matthew Larson tees off at a meet. (Photo Submitted by Coach Langlois)

This year the team has valuable experience with five of their six players having varsity experience. Head coach Mark Langlois said, “To have the experience we have is a tremendous advantage. They have bought into our system and what makes us successful.” These five leaders can take this team far into the season and make a good run into the postseason. 

The golf team has two captains, Quinn Thompson and Matthew Larson. They are great leaders to this team and have high expectations for the season. Thompson said, “I want us to be top three in the big nine and be undefeated in dual and tri meets. I think we have the skill to accomplish it.” With the five returning players the Huskies will have experience on the course and know what it takes to complete their goals. 

Every year the golf team has tough competition within their own team. This can be great for a team. No one can be satisfied with where they are at. Coach Langlois said, “We have competition for sports and players are spending a lot of time after practice to perfect their shot.” The team pushes each other to be at its best every meet and that will continue to take them to where they want to be. 

The team being experienced helps them in their performance on the course as well. Thompson said, “I think knowing the course we play and having that in the back of my head helps me know what clubs to hit, what shots to hit, and how to hit them.” 

The Huskies next meet is Thursday, May 2 at 2 p.m. at The Northfield Golf Club. 

Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.