66 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    52 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    69 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

66 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    65 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    57 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    51 °
    51 °
    52 °
    55 °
    57 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    69 °
May 29
68°/ 46°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 50°
Sunny
May 31
69°/ 53°

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Preview and modern twist on Shakespeare

Crystal Garza
Reuel Borkenhagen enjoying and embracing the role of Nick Bottom.

The students involved in OHS theater performed Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. for friends and family night. The play will have other performances on the following dates: May 2, 3 and 4 at 7 p.m., and May 5 at 1:30 p.m. The show has been directed by Mr. Erik Eitrheim and the technical direction has been done by Doc Grauberse. 

The play is set in Athens and consists of several subplots. The subplots are able to be portrayed in different ways. In this play, the timeline is set between Shakespeare’s era and modern-day. 

As the play begins, the audience is immediately drawn in by the Shakespearean language, which perfectly blends into a festival vibe similar to  Coachella/Burning Man theme. Unlike previous plays, the audience is sitting on all sides of the actors. The students prepare for their roles, starting by learning the Shakespearean language and what their characters are saying and adding to the scene. Students also had the task of making sure their characters were meeting all around the stage. 

Sadie Fox as Puck in Midsummer Night’s Dream surrounded by the audience. (Crystal Garza)

Director Mr. Eithrheim was excited to see how his students perform and interact in front of an audience. He said, “The idea was, let’s experiment with these lines and with the show and see what we get. It’s been fun to see them respond to each other doing that.” The students ultimately put on a show that gave their friends and family an unforgettable theatrical experience.

Bottom played by Reuel Borkenhagen said, “My favorite part of my character is getting to play a big dramatic off the wall guy. Those have always been my favorite roles.” Fortunately, throughout the play you can see the joy and excitement in the audience and the actors

Crystal Garza
Crystal Garza, Writer
Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at the Target Starbucks and babysits. Garza enjoys hanging out with her friends, family, and her dog Toby. Other than friends and family she spends money shopping, often rearranges her room, and likes to lay down to read a book while listening to music. Although her career path has changed throughout the years. In the future Garza would like to pursue a career in sports medicine, being a physical therapist or an athletic trainer. Garza joined Magnet to help her writing skills and get more involved in what's going on in OHS. Garza is looking forward to another fun year in Magnet.