67 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    72 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    73 °
    71 °
    69 °
    66 °
    62 °
    60 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    53 °
    53 °
    54 °
    56 °
    59 °
May 18
76°/ 56°
May 19
68°/ 52°
Sunny
May 20
75°/ 60°

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

67 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    72 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    73 °
    71 °
    69 °
    66 °
    62 °
    60 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    54 °
    53 °
    53 °
    54 °
    56 °
    59 °
May 18
76°/ 56°
May 19
68°/ 52°
Sunny
May 20
75°/ 60°

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Mental Health Awareness Week preview

OHS+Student+Council+is+hosting+Mental+Health+Awareness+Week+from+May+6-10.+
Created by Ella Williams
OHS Student Council is hosting Mental Health Awareness Week from May 6-10.

For the last few years, OHS Student Council has put on Mental Health Awareness Week. The third annual “Spring Fling” will run May 6 – 10. The week will consist of different events and dress-up days to bring more acknowledgment to mental health. 

Throughout the week, there will be dress-up days. Monday is country vs. country club. Tuesday is college wear day. Wednesday is class colors, so freshmen wear yellow for suicide awareness, sophomores wear purple for eating disorders, juniors wear green for depression awareness, seniors wear blue for anxiety awareness and staff are encouraged to wear red to support mental health as a whole. Thursday is teachers vs. students, where teachers dress as students and vice versa. Lastly, Friday is jersey day, or if one is participating in Powderpuff, wear the Powderpuff shirts.

Mental health has been a growing topic in recent years, and it is something that is so important to be addressed and talked about. It is crucial for students to understand that people do notice and care. There are people rooting for and supporting them and they are not alone. Student Council Adviser Michaela Kruger said, “The tricky thing with mental health is, because it’s been unfortunately stigmatized in the historical past, I think that oftentimes people feel like they’re alone. And the moment we feel like we’re alone, it feels like we have this extra hurdle to climb.” 

Students and staff are eligible to order Mental Health Week merch, including different t-shirt styles saying things like, “It’s okay to talk about your mental health”, “Hug your homies” and “Mental health matters.” The t-shirts cost 12 – 15 dollars, but there are also sweatshirts and crewnecks available for sale. For each sale, four dollars go back to OHS Student Council to continue promoting mental health. The shirts can be bought at Oak Glenn Gear.

The week’s purpose is to bring more awareness to mental health. One event being held will be Powderpuff Football on Friday, May 10. This is something that the school has put on for a long time, but this is the first year it will be tied into Mental Health Week. Powderpuff will start at 6 p.m. It is five dollars to play, and one dollar to watch. After the powderpuff bracket is finished, they will be playing “Remember the Titans” on the football field. The movie is free entry and the concessions will be open. 

Another event being held is the Dylan Lauwers Memorial Walk hosted by Thriving Minds on May 19. The walk will be at 6 p.m. where people will start at Morehouse Park, walk to Lake Kohlmier  and end back at Morehouse.

This week is meant to raise awareness and break the stigma around mental health. It is to remind students that they are not alone. There are always people and organizations to reach out to for help and support. 

Ella Williams
Ella Williams, Writer
Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife. She enjoys spending time with friends and family and being outdoors. Over the summer she went to Clearwater Cove with YoungLife and worked at the Blast, a local ice cream shop. Williams plans to go to medical school after high school, and wants to go into pediatrics. She is looking forward to learning more about the activities that go on at the school while also navigating the new OHS building.