84 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    79 °
    79 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

84 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    79 °
    79 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

OHS celebrates seniors on scholarship night

OHS+holds+an+academic+scholarship+awards+night+for+seniors.+
Lexie Klecker
OHS holds an academic scholarship awards night for seniors.

Academic and Scholarship Night is a big event for not only the students at OHS, but the staff and community that have supported the individuals through their high school careers. On Wednesday, May 22, students will be recognized for their greatness through athletic and academic honors, awards and scholarships. Numerous students have been awarded scholarship money which is one of the main reasons why they are able to go post secondary and beyond.

Two different kinds of ceremonies happen this night to honor the students at OHS. One is the athletics awards, which include nominated awards and honors such as “O-Club.” This ceremony is put on by the activities office and is organized by all coaches in the high school, Athletic Director Marc Achterkirch and Activities Secretary Nancy Benson. This ceremony will take place in the Wenger Performing Arts Center from 5-5:30 p.m.

The second event is the academic and scholarship awards, which include a variety of honors and scholarships that are given to students. Kath said, “It’s the idea that any scholarship that is awarded that night is somebody honoring the student while saying congratulations we want to support you.” The community of Owatonna has come together to honor graduates and so much more. This ceremony is more laid back than previous years and allows seniors and their families to interact with the people giving the scholarship.

The whole night is a huge celebration and it is so special for the students, parents, staff and the overall community. Students who have put education as a priority are able to receive their cords and tassels while being able to celebrate with their counselors and family right there with them. Senior Laken Meier said, “It is truly such a great honor and so fun to experience it with my friends.” Seniors have worked so hard and the hard work finally pays off. Mr.Kath said, “For me, that’s what is the most special about it, the celebration in that moment being able to see the sense of fulfillment the parents have for the achievements of their child.”

This year 81 students will be receiving a scholarship and $690,000 will be given out in scholarship money, to celebrate students’ great achievements along with their future. Principal Kory Kath said, “I think we have to keep in mind that we have so many generous people in our community that make college happen for kids.”

Lexie Klecker
Lexie Klecker, Writer
Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball, Track, Choir, DECA, BBBS, SHOC and Link Crew. Outside of school, Klecker enjoys going to the lake, hanging out with her family and friends, shopping and playing basketball. During the summer she nannies and works at The Blast. After high school, Klecker’s future plans include playing college basketball and studying business management. She is excited to write articles and see the behind the scenes of Magnet.