74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    80 °
    81 °
    81 °
    81 °
    80 °
    79 °
    77 °
July 26
79°/ 60°
July 27
82°/ 66°
Partly Cloudy
July 28
81°/ 67°
Sunny

74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    67 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    80 °
    81 °
    81 °
    81 °
    80 °
    79 °
    77 °
July 26
79°/ 60°
July 27
82°/ 66°
Partly Cloudy
July 28
81°/ 67°
Sunny

Athletic Nominations at OHS: Preview

Senior+captain+Jacob+Ginskey+prepares+to+throw+as+his+offensive+lines+blocks+for+him.+
Jayden Omangi
Senior captain Jacob Ginskey prepares to throw as his offensive lines blocks for him.

On May 22, 2024, athletic awards will be given to the nominated students at OHS. It is being held in the auditorium at the Owatonna High School starting at 5 p.m. At the ceremony, all of the female and male top three individuals in each grade will receive a plaque for their nominations and the player of the year will also be awarded that evening. 

The top three female junior nominees are Halle Theis, Jozie Johnson, and Kennedy Schammel. The top three male juniors are Blake Davison, Nolan Ginskey and Seth Johnson. Moving on to the top three female seniors are Samantha Bogen, Molly Achterkirch and Carsyn Brady. And finally, the top three male seniors are Jacob Ginskey, Owen Beyer and Mitchell Seykora. 

Getting nominated is a great deal to the athletes who have been working hard and pushing themselves to the limit. Senior Samantha Bogen says, “It feels great to be recognized for all the hard work I have put in over all of my sports career.” Most of these athletes are in multiple activities. Senior Jacob Ginskey is in football, basketball, track and field, band, choir, NHS, SHOC, DECA, FCA, BBBS and Rotary Club. Being involved in these activities have a very important impact on students as it shows how well rounded they are.

Coaches play a huge role in a student’s athletic life. Junior Seth Johnson says, “All my coaches have definitely inspired me to work hard in all of my sports. But, someone I would like to acknowledge is Coach Maine because he’s someone that has definitely inspired me to go hard in track.” Coaches are there to inspire athletes to work hard for their success. Senior Molly Achterkirch said, “Coach Eggermont, he pushed me to be the best I can be in the weight room that led me to have more confidence on the field and ice.” Coaches helped get the athletes to be where they are today along with helping them win this award. 

The awards will be given to the nominees this week on Wednesday. Player of the Year will also be awarded to the number one player at Owatonna High School. 

About the Contributors
Asha Abdi
Asha Abdi, Writer
Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi likes to play her instrument in a trio at weddings, hangout with friends, spend time with family, and has recently gotten a job. She joined OHS Magnet because she wants to make a career out of writing and to improve her writing skills. 
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!