84 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    79 °
    79 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

Ava Flemke is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her second year in Magnet. Flemke has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 13 years. This is Flemke’s second year doing Big Brothers Big Sisters...

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

84 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    79 °
    79 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°
Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Next at Bat: Sections

Ella Highfield
Senior Nathan Theis slides back to first base on pick off attempt.

With section play coming up next week, Owatonna Baseball looks to finish their season off strong and rebound after two losses in a doubleheader against Mankato East on Monday night. The season has been filled with ups and downs and the Huskies are looking to get hot at the right time.

With an 11-7 record and fourth place finish in the Big 9, the Huskies have been led with strong pitching which has been a strong suit for the Huskies with a team ERA under 4. They will look to get the bats going and bring everything together as the regular season comes to an end. 

One of the season’s most memorable moments was when the Huskies beat the undefeated and number one team in the state, Mankato West. Senior captain Noah Truelson said, “It shows we have the ability to beat and compete with any team in the state.” This win really gave the team confidence as they hit the ground running from there on. 

With sections ahead there is a lot of preparing that goes into it. Varsity head coach Tate Cummins said, “Our expectation is to put a run together and use our pitching and defense to keep games tight while putting runs up to come out on top.”

This team is unlike others as they are a very close group. Coach Cummins said, “They are a very tight group and are there for one another and fight for each other.” This is a very important part of what makes up a team as they hope to put everything together in section play.

The Huskies are looking at a Top 4 seed in sections where they will host a playoff game and bounce back from last season’s section tournament where they went 0-2 against Farmington, and Rochester Mayo. With high hopes for sections, Truelson said, “Our ultimate goal is to win the section championship and I believe we can and will make it there.”

The boys will look to make a deep playoff run with their first section game on Monday, May 23rd at 1 p.m. Location to be determined based on seeding. 

About the Contributors
Owen Smith
Owen Smith, Writer
Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved in baseball, basketball, NHS, DECA, and BBBS. When he is not playing baseball and basketball Smith enjoys hanging out with his friends and spending time with his family. He is a really big sports fan and enjoys watching all the Minnesota sports teams. Smith is looking forward to his first year in Magnet and learning more about the student body and becoming a better writer. 
Ella Highfield
Ella Highfield, Editor
Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving Minds. Highfield joined Magnet because she took journalism as a sophomore and really enjoyed being apart of Magnet last year. Her future plans include going to a college for cosmetology school, and afterward becoming a hairstylist.