83 °
    84 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    79 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Torrin Smith is a senior here at OHS. He is a football and track captain, who also is in DECA. This is Smith's second year in Magnet, Smith joined Magnet to create something unique that is his own, that...

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

83 °
    84 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    79 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively...

The Huskies attack sections

Jayden Omangi
Senior captain Caleb Hullopeter roams the field looking for an opportunity to score

Despite starting off the season with 0-5 and all five of those losses coming from three goals or less, the Huskies have bounced back and won seven straight, and look to continue the hot streak into section play. 

The Huskies now 7-5 are playing their best when it matters most, Head coach Scott Seykora said, “The team is playing very well right now offensively and defensively. Things are really coming together.” The team looks to continue to play their best lacrosse in May when the weight of the games mean more. 

The team chemistry that they have is also some of the best that Coach Seykora has seen in a while. Coach Seykora said, “I think our team has gelled really well together. They’ve figured out how to play well together and just communication has been a big part of this year.” The team’s chemistry and the trust that the team has this year will be able to help them achieve their goals for this year. 

In sections, the team could be anywhere between the three and the six seed depending on how the last game goes and how everything shakes out. The first four seeds in the section get a home game in the first round and the Huskies are hoping to get one of the top four seeds. 

The Huskies are led by four senior captains: Jack Strom, Caleb Hullopeter, Henry Hilgendorf and Ethan Fitch. Hullopeter said, “The season didn’t start how we expected it to, but we started to get out stride and are 7-5 hoping to get a good seed and have a home game in sections.”

In the Huskies past game on May 18, Strom had broken the all-time scoring record, Scoring 96 goals in his career. The record was previously held by Josh Nelson, a 2018 graduate with 95 goals. Strom said, “It is an honor knowing that I have the record. I worked hard to get to this point and knowing that I achieved it is an awesome feeling.” Strom has 105 goals and counting going into section play. 

The Huskies play away on Thursday, May 23 vs. the Mankato at 6 p.m. 

About the Contributors
Mitch Seykora
Mitch Seykora, Writer
Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out with friends, be active outside, and watch other sports. Seykora joined the Magnet staff because he heard many great things about Magnet and wanted to enhance his writing and journalism skills. Seykora is looking forward to a great year in Magnet! After high school Seykora plans to attend college and continue his athletics in baseball.
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!