69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    68 °
    69 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    77 °
    79 °
    80 °
    81 °
    81 °
    81 °
    80 °
    79 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
July 27
82°/ 67°
Partly Cloudy
July 28
80°/ 67°
Sunny
July 29
82°/ 68°

69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    68 °
    69 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    77 °
    79 °
    80 °
    81 °
    81 °
    81 °
    80 °
    79 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
July 27
82°/ 67°
Partly Cloudy
July 28
80°/ 67°
Sunny
July 29
82°/ 68°

OHS icon Mr.Wanous retires after 31 years

Andres Contreras
Dean of students Doug Wanous will retire from OHS after 33 years.

Owatonna High School’s current Dean of Students Mr. Douglas Wanous will be retiring after being a staff member for 31 years. Mr. Wanous attended and graduated from OHS. Since then, his contribution to the community of OHS has been anything but small. He has touched the lives of countless students both through academia and athletics.

Mr. Wanous’s own educational journey began in Concordia College-Moorhead where he received his Bachelor’s Degree. After, he attended Mankato State University in which he received his Master’s Degree in Curriculum and Instruction. Thereafter, he received an Administrative License through Minnesota State, Mankato and continued to earn his online 18-English through Minnesota State Moorhead. These classes allowed for OHS students to earn college credit through concurrent classes.

First and foremost, I am most proud of being a dad and a husband. Being a teacher is every day, you take care of business every day. I am most proud of basically everything, proud of the alternative school I taught at, proud of the resilience that I have shown, proud of the energy that I brought every day and proud of putting in the time to make sure I can serve. I am proud of the pride of it all.”

— Doug Wanous

During his 31 years of teaching, Mr. Wanous has done it all. He has coached both football and baseball, has founded and coached the original mock trial program and the speech team, and has been the Dean of Students. Most memorably, Mr. Wanous has taught English until the 2023-24 school year. Mr. Wanous has taught AP English 11 Lit and Comp, AP English 12 Lang and Comp, English 10, American Literature, Utopian Literature and IB English.  Mr. Wanous has had the opportunity to be in many different forms of leadership. Whether it has been in front of a team, a classroom or the whole school, Mr. Wanous has done it all. Mr. Wanous was an OHS graduate who went from walking the halls as a student to becoming the dean of students. In a way, it is poignant and heartfelt, to finish your career in the same place you graduated from. Through Mr. Wanous’s legacy, many students, athletes and staff have been inspired and touched by his warmth and his encouragement. 

Mr. Wanous taught AP English Lit & Comp to juniors. In her junior year, current senior Josy Caudillo had Mr. Wanous as her teacher. Caudillo said, “Going into his class I was nervous because I had heard that he can be very strict and takes his teaching very seriously. So, when I came into his class I felt unprepared and nervous. However, after having him as a teacher he definitely brought out my love for English he makes sure that his students are safe and protected Mr. Wanous had my back a lot and I really appreciate that. Overall, Wanous was a great teacher who had a good student-teacher relationship. He is very in tune with everyone and really looks out for his students, he has their backs and he makes sure that not only is their education going well but also their home life and their relationships with their peers—he makes sure that his students are safe and protected Mr. Wanous had my back a lot and I really appreciate that.”

For the duration of his career and his lifetime, Mr. Wanous has had many accomplishments to be proud of. Whether it is his home life or his school life, he has excelled in all aspects. Mr. Wanous said, “First and foremost, I am most proud of being a dad and a husband. Being a teacher is every day, you take care of business every day. I am most proud of basically everything, proud of the alternative school I taught at, proud of the resilience that I have shown, proud of the energy that I brought every day and proud of putting in the time to make sure I can serve. I am proud of the pride of it all.”

In 2022, Mr. Wanous received his financial adviser licenses and in his spare time has been working with a Rochester group. His retirement will give him more opportunities to focus his time and energy on this. Even though Mr. Wanous will miss going to school every day and being greeted by the wonderful energy and the relationship with staff and students, he is excited for days out on the lake and knows that it is time to move on. Mr. Wanous said, “I am not retiring. I am retooling.” 

After 31 years, Mr. Douglas Wanous has dedicated his career to Owatonna High SchoolHis legacy will continue to shine across the walls of OHS for many years to come. OHS staff and students express their gratitude.

This article was originally published in the graduation print.

Andres Contreras
Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school. In school he is involved in Key Club, DIG, Thriving Minds, and Link Crew; through Best Buddies and Link Crew, he has the leadership roles of secretary and commissioner. When he is not at school, you can find Contreras having fun with his friends and family, shopping, or binge-watching a new TV show. Contreras plans to attend a four-year university in which he will major in political science and minor in Spanish. He is extremely excited about his senior year and final year in Magnet.