Educating in the 21st century

Amanda Clubb
Freshmen Brennan Aus sands his final project for Woods I.

Across the country, education has been evolving. People are starting to turn more to two-year education plans and other non-traditional ways of making a career. In Owatonna, this evolution of education has been seen more heavily over the past 15 years. OHS has started to build programs, classes and connections for many different career pathways, hoping to ensure success for all students.

Now that students have easy access to the best technology, teaching styles have had to adapt. For example, students are now given Chromebooks for everyday classroom use. They are also given access to different learning environments, technology and styles of learning. Because of this, learning and teaching styles have changed so much in recent years. Senior Zoie Roush said, “I learn way better by doing hands-on activities, so by incorporating it more in classes made it easier for me to understand what I am learning and doing.”This change has not only shifted how education is taught but how it is perceived as a whole. Business teacher Mr. Travis Paulsen said, “I think today’s educators are truly trying to introduce their assignments as real-world assignments. If we teachers can show you the importance and why you should complete this assignment – you are more willing to buy in and complete it.”

Realistic assignments helps students to become more attentive to their work. William Furey in his article, “The Stubborn Myth of ‘Learning Styles’ ” says, “67% of teacher preparation classes require students to incorporate multiple different learning styles into their lesson plans. With this, 76% of educators sampled believe individuals learn better when they are taught in their preferred learning style.”

With the addition of new styles of learning at OHS, the course catalog has drastically changed. Now students are offered a plethora of classes that will let them leave campus, get college credit, or certification in a career field and overall create a more independent style of learning that replicates what a student may want to do after high school. Mr. Paulsen said, “Business Internship, CNA class, the firefighting class, AP, concurrent enrollment and PSEO. The options are definitely there for students. Also, having a building with staff that is open to the idea of hybrid learning, shows that college feel by giving you independence if you take ownership of your education.”

I think today’s educators are truly trying to introduce their assignments as real-world assignments. If we teachers can show you the importance and why you should complete this assignment- you are more willing to buy in and complete it.

— Mr. Paulsen

The introduction of the new Owatonna High School has also helped shift education in Owatonna, giving students more opportunities and resources for them to be successful.
Throughout the school, new technology has been used for all of OHS’s classes, bettering each department for all students. Notable improvements have included significant upgrades to the agriculture, design, culinary and theater sides of OHS. Upgrades in these areas have helped students get a better understanding of the field they are interested in and how it could fit into their future. Senior Alex Stenzel said, “A more hands-on approach is actually the best way I learn new things, so I really enjoy the new approach and has helped me decide that I am going to be changing from part time mechanic to full time mechanic at Ron’s Repair in Owatonna.”

Stenzel is not alone when he says this. According to the National Institute of Health, it was discovered that, “73% of students sampled prefer one learning style rather than an unimodal approach to learning. To break that 73% down into specific learning models, 33% of students preferred visual, 26% auditory and 14% kinesthetic.”

While the new high school has helped students, it has also helped teachers improve their teaching by helping their students understand the real-world job market as much as possible. Agriculture teacher Ms. Jamie Gray said, “The new updated facilities in the Ag and IT departments will give students more hands-on learning. The updated equipment is the industry standard. This will give our students an advantage in the job market in the Owatonna area.” Ultimately, the new OHS building is allowing students the ability to be ready for the real world, offering them opportunities that were otherwise not available 15+ years ago. These unique opportunities allow Owatonna students to have the best tools to succeed in life.

Students work on their computer graphics project with the schools state of the art computers.

Navigating life after high school

Traditionally, high school is built around the idea of a general education that prepares students to go to a four-year college. As time has changed, so has the idea of high school. At OHS, career pathways have been introduced to help identify what students may want to do after high school, what classes students should take and how staff can guide students to career readiness. OHS’s Career Navigator is Mr. Brian Coleman. Students may contact him for opportunities or networking, and others may see his opportunity postings on the school website. Career Navigator Brian Coleman said, “The new high school provides opportunities for students to explore different career areas and find what best fits what they would like to pursue. It also allows students the opportunity to work in a space that is suited for every learner.”

The new high school provides opportunities for students to explore different career areas and find what best fits what they would like to pursue. It also allows students the opportunity to work in a space that is suited for every learner.

— Mr. Coleman

The College and Career Fair was held in the fall and spring. This was an event where college recruiters help give more information on their college and why a student might consider it. Local companies came and offer internships, apprenticeships and job applications on the spot. Senior Leyton Williams said, “During my time at OHS I was able to grow my knowledge on carpentry, taking all the wood classes and getting to apply skills I learned in class to the real world.”

The military career path was also highlighted as recruiters attended the College Career Fair.

The Career Navigator position will be increased to two in the 2024-25 school year with the addition of Ms. Missy Koch full time at OHS.

As education continues to evolve, more and more students have felt they can succeed in life without the traditional style of college. Hands-on education is changing the way students define success. This evolution of education has allowed students to further explore what they want to do in life and has diversified their journey after high school.

This article was originally published in the graduation print.

About the Contributors
Jose Rosas
Jose Rosas, Editor-in-Chief
Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of school, Rosas is involved in DECA, BBBS, SHOC, Link Crew, Owatonna Thriving Minds, student of the month and soccer. Rosas hobbies include spending time with friends and family, spending time outside and working on a couple of projects. Rosas future plans include finishing high school and going to a four year college to pursue a degree in Bio-Medical engineering. Rosas is looking forward to an awesome year of Magnet.   
Jackson Degrood
Jackson Degrood, Editor
Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas. When DeGrood is not playing Fortnite, he is hanging out with friends or being active. He also enjoys snowmobiling in the winter and trying new things that he has not done before. DeGrood is looking forward to being a part of the first graduating class of the new high school.
Andres Contreras
Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school. In school he is involved in Key Club, DIG, Thriving Minds, and Link Crew; through Best Buddies and Link Crew, he has the leadership roles of secretary and commissioner. When he is not at school, you can find Contreras having fun with his friends and family, shopping, or binge-watching a new TV show. Contreras plans to attend a four-year university in which he will major in political science and minor in Spanish. He is extremely excited about his senior year and final year in Magnet. 
Amanda Clubb
Amanda Clubb, Writer
Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb loves to read, play the flute and spend time with her family and friends. She joined Magnet because she loves to write and be involved at school. Clubb is excited to be a part of the OHS Magnet staff this year and is looking forward to her junior year.