84 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    79 °
    79 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Amanda Clubb is a junior at OHS this year. This is her second year on the Magnet staff. Clubb is involved in student council, DECA, SHOC, band, Students for Life, tennis and track. Outside of school, Clubb...

84 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    79 °
    79 °
    79 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°

Chloe Gfrerer is a sophomore at OHS. It is her first year in Magnet. She decided to join to improve her journalism skills because she has an interest in journalism. She also got told that it is a great...

Anna Mollenhauer is a junior at OHS. This is her first year in Magnet. Mollenhauer is involved in girls hockey, soccer and golf. She is also involved in DECA, Young Life and 4-H. Outside of school Mollenhauer...

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Owatonna sports leave a long lasting impact on athletes

Jayden Omangi
Senior Jacob Ginskey hugs a coach after his final football game at Quarterback for the Huskies.

Some athletes just want to be involved in their school’s athletics for something to do and say they are in something. Others join their school’s athletics to make a mark—to leave a long lasting impact on their school’s athletics. At Owatonna, impact, leadership and legacy mean something.

Owatonna sports have a deeper meaning to some in this school. Senior football, track and basketball captain Jacob Ginskey said, “Owatonna has definitely impacted me positively. It has allowed me to build relationships with teammates and coaches that will last a lifetime. There is a sense of belonging when you continuously put in hard work day after day to accomplish one goal as a team.” Having team chemistry down to a tee is a big part of having a successful season in any sport. Many athletes here believe Owatonna holds that ability.

A big thing with high school athletes is wanting to leave an impact on their school’s name and to be remembered through the years. Senior softball pitcher Kennedy Hodgman said, “Of course, I want to be remembered as a great athlete, anybody does. I also want to be remembered for being a great teammate on and off the field. I think as an athlete it not only matters what happens when you’re on the field but as well as off the field.” Owatonna sports have a tradition of great teammates and sportsmanship that sets teams apart and leads to success.

Owatonna sports have a prominent history of success and awards, but boasting the past will never guide the future. Senior soccer and track athlete Garrett Karsten said, “When I think of Owatonna sports what I think of is “all in”, which I believe embodies Owatonna athletics as a whole. It’s above our weight room and everyone is required to hit the sign before you walk in. “Tap in” signifying you’re going to give your all and get 1% better today.” Athletes at OHS have a sense that giving everything in your sport season is essential.

A big part of success is who is leading. Coaching is vital to a team’s success. Great coaching makes great athletes. Great athletes lead to great success. Any legacy starts with a coach who will push limits and encourage athletes to be the best they can be.

Our job as coaches is to help kids be as successful as possible at the things they care about. In high school, that is football for a lot of kids. We want them to maximize their potential as players and to be able to contribute to a successful team.

— Coach Jeff Williams

Owatonna is home to one of the most successful coaches in Minnesota history, head football coach Jeff Williams. Coach Williams said, “I guess I don’t worry too much about a legacy. I’ve been around long enough to see the most successful and popular teachers and coaches be forgotten in about two years. Our job as coaches is to help kids be as successful as possible at the things they care about. In high school, that is football for a lot of kids. We want them to maximize their potential as players and to be able to contribute to a successful team.”

Owatonna sports is more than just stats or the score. It is about how a sport impacts student athletes. It is about growing as a person, teammate and leader and what mark each person can leave on Owatonna sports.

This article was originally printed in the graduation print.

About the Contributors
Blake Fitcher
Blake Fitcher, Writer
Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills. Fitcher believes Magnet would give him an opportunity to become better at being a journalist. He wants to graduate high school and go to a 2-4 year college to continue his academic and athletic career. He enjoys hanging out with friends in his free time and also listening to music while going out driving with friends. 
Jayden Omangi
Jayden Omangi, Photographer
Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca, and Yearbook. Omangi enjoys playing Fortnite with his duo partner Jackson DeGrood. Omangi is planning on attending college after high school and is still undecided on his major. Omangi looks forward to another great year in Magnet!