82 °
    83 °
    83 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    78 °
    76 °
    75 °
    74 °
    71 °
    69 °
    68 °
    69 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    77 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Angel Barajas is a junior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet. Barajas joined Magnet to be able to get out the news of what is happening around the OHS, and because his first year in Magnet...

Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

82 °
    83 °
    83 °
    83 °
    82 °
    81 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    78 °
    76 °
    75 °
    74 °
    71 °
    69 °
    68 °
    69 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    77 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
June 24
84°/ 63°
June 25
80°/ 67°
Sunny
June 26
71°/ 58°

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

America’s favorite cat is brought to theaters worldwide

New+Garfield+movie+was+released+in+theaters+over+Memorial+Day+weekend+by+Sony+Pictures+Studios.+
Press release image
New Garfield movie was released in theaters over Memorial Day weekend by Sony Pictures Studios.

America’s favorite comic strip cat, Garfield, was brought to the big screen on May 19 in the new movie, “The Garfield Movie”. Originally created in 1976, the Garfield comics, TV series “Garfield and Friends” and many other games and media have brought entertainment to people of every age. This new lighthearted film is sure to keep that joy alive for all generations. 

Back in November 2018, filmmaker Mark Dindal announced the upcoming movie based on the comics and stories. The storyline of this movie follows Garfield as he unexpectedly reunites with his former friends and some of the original featured comic strip characters. The audience is reintroduced to his owner, dog companion Odie and alley cat Vic. 

The film features some of Hollywood’s biggest celebrities. Best known for their work in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Chris Pratt stars as Garfield himself, and Samuel L. Jackson takes on the supporting role of Vic. Musician Snoop Dogg voices a brand new original character named Snoop Catt. 

OHS junior Jordan Otte said, “I am not a huge fan of the comics, but my mom is and she was super excited when the movie was announced.”

Although the tales of this tabby cat came about during the time of older generations, critics describe this movie as being the epitome of a kids film. To paraphrase a review from “The Garfield Movie”, children will be entertained, yet the adult viewers will notice the obvious changes to Garfield’s charismatic personality that made comic fans adore him in the first place. This film portrays Garfield and Odie as friends rather than squabbling acquaintances as shown in the original story. 

OHS senior Kiley Knudson said, “I have not seen the movie yet, but it looks funny and like something little kids would love.”

Although reviews seem conflicted on the success of the film, it may still be a lighthearted movie for anyone to enjoy. “The Garfield Movie” is being played in theaters worldwide. To purchase tickets locally, visit the Northwoods Cinema website.  

Luca Gfrerer
Luca Gfrerer, Writer
Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is involved in band, dance and colorguard and is a manager for the school's football team. Outside of school, Gfrerer enjoys reading, listening to music, watching movies and hanging out with her friends.