We talk, you listen

Katie Skalicky, Staff Writer

The 2016 Owatonna High School Speech season is now in full swing. So far, the speech team has competed at two meets and has done very well. The OHS Speech team kicked off the season with a third overall win at the Cannon Falls Invitational, with eight varsity members placing and five novice members placing.

First year member and Junior, Ashley Beckman, placed fourth in Novice Discussion. Beckman said, “The thing that got me through my first meet was my teammates. They helped me get over my nerves and focus on my category.”

The thing that got me through my first meet was my teammates. They helped me get over my nerves and focus on my category.

— Ashley Beckman

Senior Captain, Kayla Gryniewski said, “I thought it was a very good competition for our returners and new members, overall we did really well with a lot of our new members placing and our team getting third place overall.” This past weekend, the team placed third in the large school division at the John Marshall Supreme Speech Meet, with five members placing. Coach of the speech team, Lauren Gendron said, “We’ve been doing great as a team and individually. As we head into the second part of the season, I’m excited to see how our team grows and improves.” The team’s next competition will be on Saturday, Feb. 20 at Farmington High School.