It’s a sea of talent

Gabe Cardiff, Writer

On Saturday, March 12, students and the community filled the Owatonna High School’s auditorium for the annual NHS/DECA talent show. The stage’s edge was lined with waves, blue and white balloons, streamers, fish and nets for the “Under the Sea” theme. The show began with the contestants singing an adaptation of the song “Hello” from the hit Broadway Musical The Book Of Mormon. Lyrics were changed to refer to the talent show. After the introduction, one of the MCs, seniors Grace Pyatt and Sam Hylle welcomed the audience

There were 13 acts with 22 contestants showing off a variety of talents, such as singing, dancing and skits. Some singers used music and/or instruments while others just performed a capella. After each act, input was heard from the judge’s, which was positive towards the contestant/s, but they often made jokes about the MCs.

After all acts had performed, the contestants were brought onstage to sing the finale song, We are the World by Michael Jackson. While contestants were singing, the judges left the auditorium and voted on the winners. NHS also had “a pass the hat”, where people gave donations and turned in their ballots for People’s Choice. While the audience and contestants were waiting for the judges to return, 6 ½ Men sang, Life Could be a Dream by The Coasters.

It was nice to win, but we did it mostly just to sing with each other again, and for our fans. It was overall a fun experience for everyone involved!

— Ryan Huxford

After the People’s Choice Award, the judges announced their choices too. In third place was Nick Hagen and Sheldon Jenson’s comic routine. Second place was Jazz Palmer and India Enter’s original song, and People’s Choice and first place both went to  6 ½ Men. Senior Ryan Huxford, one of the 6 ½ members, said, “It was nice to win, but we did it mostly just to sing with each other again, and for our fans. It was overall a fun experience for everyone involved!”

According to NHS, the grand total of money raised $1,200.  The proceeds will go to the Rotary Clean Water Project in partnership with 2015 OHS grad Margaret Sager. The NHS/ DECA Talent Show was a success and raised money for a good cause.