Mr. Cummins-Bussiness Dept.

Mr. Cummins

Why did you decide to start teaching?

I entered the finance industry as an adviser. My primary goal was to provide support to individuals trying to capture specific financial goals. The career had many elements that I enjoyed, but I wanted to do a little more. I felt by going back to school to obtain a teaching degree would allow me to help more people and, specifically, high school students that are entering a challenging time balances personal decisions and their individual finances.

What is your favorite part about teaching?

I enjoy watching students reach moments of clarity. When the light bulb goes off and they understand the importance of strategy or concept that can be used in their life is very rewarding.

Best memory as a teacher?

I had a student write me a very personal note prior to him leaving for the Air Force. He battled a number of issues during his high school experience and was able to overcome many of his obstacles with the help from his family, friends, and teachers. There is nothing better than watching someone you really care for rally in life. Teaching provides this continually.

What some of Mr. Cummins students think of him and his classes:

“Mr. Cummins is a great teacher. Being in his classes will help me in many ways in life. I had Career Mentorship with him and that was one of the most practical and helpful classes I have ever had. I got to go to the hospital and learn about a career that I am very interested in.” -Steph Kretlow, Senior