Gearing up for speech season

Knowing how to write a great speech and then getting up and presenting it is one of the main things students in society today struggle with. It’s important to have these skills when planning for your future and getting into college. Students on the Owatonna High School speech team attend tournaments all around Southern Minnesota. They give a memorized speech, competing against students from different high schools. Speech is a way to improve your public speaking skills yet have fun doing so.

There are two main categories of speeches- public address and interpretation. Public address speeches are more informative. They give facts about a subject and provide more of a discussion. Interpretation speeches are more creative. Examples include stories, pros and cons of a subject, or a more dramatic type.  Speech Captain Maureen Gleason shares, “The part I like the most is moving people with my speeches.” An informative meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 13 before school at 7:40 and after school at 2:35 in room B-107, Mrs. Gendron’s room. If you are interested and want to learn more, please attend. The team has a mock trial on January 18 at the OHS. Their first tournament is in the first week of February. That will be held at the Kasson-Mantorville High School. Tori-Ann Carlson states, “Speech isn’t only fun, but it helps you with your speech skills and you’re joining a family.” Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to join.