Donating to help save lives

The annual Owatonna High School Blood Drive will be happening on Wednesday Dec. 4 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the OHS gym. Students must check in first in the doorway. Along the gym wall will be the history check, where they will be checking your family history, they then will prick your finger to test for iron, and there will be tables in the middle for the drawing of blood. After the blood is drawn you can go to the canteen for snacks. This year’s blood drive will be run by Junior Hamza Ali, Senior Joshua Dub, and Senior Nicholas Rethemeier. Taylor Gaveske said, “I’ve never participated but it is a awarding feeling to help someone out.” All blood donations will be going to the American Red Cross. The OHS is expecting a very good turnout this year. The blood drive has been going on at the high school for at least four years.

Due to the American Red Cross rules, all donors must be 16 years or older. Students must also have their driver’s license on them, or a picture of them with their birth date. All staff are also welcomed to participate in helping to save lives. To see all of the requirements on donating blood you can visit the American Red Cross website.

Around 15 to 20 people from the Red Cross will be coming to draw blood. It is encouraged that you sign up ahead of time but it is not required. If any students are unsure whether they want to donate their blood or not, go down and check it out. There is usually 140 pints of blood donated each year, one pint of blood can save up to three people’s lives. Every year about 200 students will sign up and donate. “I encourage anyone to donate and if you are not sure about if you qualify, you should still come and check it out.” said Student Council advisor Mrs. Julie Haugan. Some incidents where the blood donated will help is in natural disasters, bad car accidents, surgeries, and many more. Students will not receive anything from donating, except the satisfaction of saving three lives.