Filed under Showcase, Sports, Winter

Gymnastics-Repeat

OHS Gymnastics heads to the Minnesota State Tournament for the second year in a row.

OHS Gymnastics poses with their 1st place section title!

The OHS gym was packed for the Section 1AA Gymnastics finals.  The Owatonna gymnastics team, having been ranked number two in the state, was favored to win the section for the second year in a row. Head coach Tom Smith said, “Being consistent, and staying average,” about how they could win the section. The team was unstoppable, scoring 147.925 out of the 160 possible points, beating Farmington by 3.65 points. After winning the section, the team’s goal this year is to place amongst the top three teams at state.The team, being led mostly by returning gymnasts from last years’ state contending squad, has a good chance of going far at state.

Something that makes this team different from others is that they have five junior high students, making them very young and giving them the potential to be very skilled in the future. One of them being eighth grader Lindsay Bangs who has already won four medals and placed first in vault. Junior Becca Olson led the team with six medals, placing first on beam and all around. When asked about what was going through her mind as she did each event, she said, “I usually am just focusing on using good form and staying calm.”

The team qualified five to state for the individual competition.  Individually qualifying in their events are Lucy Macius 8th grader on beam and tenth grader Allison An competing for bars.The Huskies were able to move three gymnast to the State in all- around: eighth grader  Lindsay Bangs, sophomore Sydney Kretlow and  junior Becca Olson.

After winning the section title, the OHS Gymnastics team will be moving on to state, which will take place at the Sports Pavilion on the University of Minnesota campus in Minneapolis on Feb. 24 as a team, and the individual competitions will take place Feb. 25.

OHS will have a pep fest on Wednesday afternoon to send the team off to the tournament.

Karson Madole

• Photos

Photo Gallery: 2017 Commencement and Senior Send Off

• Gymnastics-Repeat

Student Life

Sign up for BBBS

• Gymnastics-Repeat

Student Life

Tips on applying for college

• Gymnastics-Repeat

Video

Class of 2017 Senior Video

• Gymnastics-Repeat

Sports

Girls track heads to sections

• Gymnastics-Repeat

Student Life

Senior farewell photo gallery

• Gymnastics-Repeat

Sports

Huskies advance to the next round for sections

• Gymnastics-Repeat

Owatonna’s scholarly students

• Gymnastics-Repeat

The end of an era

• Gymnastics-Repeat

Seniors Say Farewell