Pi Day

Photo Submitted

Math Teachers posing in their Pi Shirts

Derek Thada, Writer

Every OHS student has taken a math class or two. Whether its is geometry with Mr. Achterkirch or Calculus 2 with Mr. Maine, everyone has had some experience with math. One “constant” in every math class is the mathematical constant pi. Pi, known in textbooks as π, and sometimes abbreviated as the decimal 3.14,is the never ending ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. As one of the most well known irrational numbers in all of mathematics, pi has been celebrated by mathematicians everywhere since its discovery. However, one physicist decided to create a day to allow everyone to celebrate the infamous ratio – Pi Day.

In 1988, San Francisco Exploratorium physicist Larry Shaw started the first ever observance of Pi Day. In 2009, the United States House of Representatives passed a nonbinding resolution recognizing Mar. 14 (3/14) as Pi Day. The resolution wrote that the observance of Pi Day, “Encourages schools and educators to observe the day with appropriate activities that teach students about Pi and engage them about the study of mathematics.”

The day has gained popularity over recent years, even finding its way into the halls of the OHS Math Wing. Math teacher Mara Oien, an avid Pi Day supporter, has started a tradition to celebrate Pi Day by making shirts for every teacher in the math department. Each teacher’s shirt contains a digit of pi on it (with one decimal point shirt). When asked about Pi Day, Ms. Oien had this to say, “[Pi Day] is the greatest day of the year. Every year I cross my fingers hoping that a friend will bring me a slice of french silk pie.”

So go out and celebrate Pi Day. Either enjoy some actual pie, or challenge someone to a pi reciting contest, here is a little help with the first 20 digits: 3.1415926535897932384