Who’s looking forward to graduation parties?

Free use photo

Graduation parties season is coming soon. Source: Google images

Shay Salinas, Writer

There is a party that celebrates the accomplishment of completing 12 years of school. Graduation parties includes memories, food, and guests. Typically a  grad party is mainly for family, close friends, and special guests to attend.

One does not start to plan this party until the coming end of their senior year in high school. However, graduation parties can be extravagant, with a ton of decorations available in most stores starting in spring. Planning for a graduation party takes serious strategic planning, and choosing when to throw the party is crucial. Parties are most commonly on weekends in the afternoons or early evenings. Choosing the venue depends on the date you chose because of their availability and the weather, which are both important aspects to consider. Senior Estefani Jaramillo had mention how excited she was to graduate

I’m excited for my graduation party because I have been waiting for this moment, the moment of my goals coming true.

— Estefani Jaramillo

The most common venues for those seeking an inexpensive outdoor venue are a backyard, the park with or without the use of a rental tent, or a variety of community known centers. Most people do host at their homes such as Senior Jacob Katzung said, “I’m having my graduation party at my house because I live in the country and we have a shop that we can have a lot of people where there will be plenty of room to have a big party.”  Although many popular public places are the community center, historical society, hotel conference rooms, or one of the many Owatonna parks. If seeking a venue for a  little more money, one could have it at indoors at a restaurant, a hotel event space or even a country club. The Owatonna Country Club is booked this summer with graduation parties.

Once both the date and venue are assured, it is time to make invitations. They should be sent out four to six weeks prior to the party. As for a theme for this event, some parties have something to do with what their plans are for the future, while some celebrate the graduate’s achievements during their high school years. Many of the decorations correlate with the theme, most used would be the use of tissue paper, photo booths, and creative desserts . Although to entertain guests many chose to do simple yard games such as: limbo, twister, bean bag toss, bounce house and a variety of water games.

What's your favorite grad party food?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Family members and friends attending look forward to all the childhood pictures that many include at their parties, from first grade to twelfth. When in doubt, the most popular theme is their high school colors. As far as food and decorations go, it all depends on the venue and the theme. Senior Ben Staska mentioned, “I’m super excited, and I will be having Plaza Morena cater my party.” However, many choose to do affordable meals or appetizers such as pasta salads or a taco bar.

Look at a few ideas for how to celebrate, decorate, and food ideas for a graduation party on the Graduation board on Pinterest http://pin.it/2rFNRAv. Follow the OHS Magnet Pinterest account.