A race to the finish line

Captain Bryce Knutson eyeing the competition

The Girl’s Cross Country team is already in their midseason condition. As fall approaches, and the weather gets colder the girls are picking up the pace. Four meets into the season, the team is entering into their midseason events. On Sept. 14 the team traveled to Rochester Mayo for the 49th annual Mayo Invitational meet. Even with the difficult conditions, the team finished in the middle of the pack,  placing 10 out of 29 teams. Senior captain Jade Huseby said this about the meet, “It was a very competitive atmosphere. This year was another hot meet as the humid weather tested our bodies.”

On Sept. 23 the team participated in the largest single day high school cross country meet in the world. The 2017 Milaca Mega Meet was held at Stones Throw Golf Course in Milaca, Minnesota. The meet hosted roughly 150 schools and 5,900 runners. The Huskies finished in 14th place out of the 21 teams in their running group. Head coach Dan Leer had this to say about the meet, “It’s a good experience for the younger runners to see what it’s like to compete in these intense atmospheres.” Even though the meet was very intense, the team still did an excellent job.

The Huskies are looking forward to the end of the season. They know if they keep up their hard work they will be able to accomplish their goals. The Huskies will host their first home meet on Thursday, Oct. 5 at Brooktree Golf Course. They will also host this year’s Big Nine and the section meets.

• A race to the finish line

Fall

PHOTO GALLERY: STATE CHAMPIONSHIP FROM THE SIDELINE

• A race to the finish line

Fall

All in.

• A race to the finish line

Fall

Back to work

• A race to the finish line

Fall

Banking on the Huskies

• A race to the finish line

Fall

A target on their back