Splishing and splashing their way through the season

Freshman Cheryl Smith swims freestyle

Freshman Cheryl Smith swims freestyle

Freshman Cheryl Smith swims freestyle

The Owatonna Girls Swim and Dive team is off to a tough start with a record of 1-4. They have had a few setbacks since starting the season, but they have faced some difficult opponents in the pool. The team is still optimistic. Senior captain Hanna Roberts had this to say on how the season was going so far, “We have a strong team, and a great set of newer and older girls.” The team has a number of returning seniors who have been very good swimmers in the past including: Kjerstin Anderson, Michelle Benson, Hanna Roberts, Erica Svenby, Lydia Weisenberger and Emma Stockwell. Later in the season these veterans will contribute a lot to the success of the team.

Another exciting event that has boosted the team’s moral is the installation of their new starting blocks. The blocks were installed on Saturday, Sept. 23 by members of the Owatonna Swimming Association. The old blocks have been in disrepair. This is a big upgrade to the pool. When asked about the blocks Roberts said, “The blocks are a very nice and needed upgrade to our pool.” Hopefully these new upgrades will give the  team a little bit of good luck as they progress through the rest of their season.

The team is looking forward to their meet against their biggest rival the Faribault Falcons. Roberts said, “The Faribault meet is one of the big meets we look forward too throughout the season, as well as the end of the season because we can see how much we have improved.” Roberts broke a school record last season at the Section Finals in the 500 yard freestyle and is looking forward to attempting to break her own record again, along with some other records. Come and support the girls swim and dive team, their next meet is Thursday, Oct. 5 at 6:00 p.m. in Northfield.

• Splishing and splashing their way through the season

Fall

Hustle, hit and never quit

Fall

A race to the finish line

Fall

Photo Gallery: Homecoming Football Game

Fall

Sliding into the season

Fall

Huskies take care of business early in the season