Sending off love to Texas

Cash Drive feature photo. Lauren Arthur (senior) and Cameron Bartz (sophomore)

Khaleb Charles

Khaleb Charles

The 2017 Cash Drive at the OHS has come to a close, raising a grand total of $7,295.30. The OHS raised money for Dickinson High School in Texas, which was hit by Hurricane Harvey. The school was left in need of repair and supplies to help them get back to how they were. They were not expecting to be hit by the hurricane, leading to the town being unprepared. Through an organization that connects schools for just this reason, OHS will be gifting $7,295.30 to Dickinson. The money will go towards their need for technology ranging from printers to computers.

The school had aimed to raise $8,000 this year and ended just shy of the goal. There were a lot of activities the student council had planned in order to bring in money for the great cause. Junior Camryn Bartz, one of the leaders of the week, had this to say on which event was the best, “The Mangeant – there were a lot of people there which lead to a lot of money and donations.” The Mangeant was the main event throughout the week to help raise money. It consisted of students gathered to watch interviews, funny costumes and lip syncing. “Last year we had paired the Mangent with a dance afterwards, we almost raised as much this year as last year, even though last year we didn’t have the dance included,” said Mrs. Sandra Justice.

Mangent contestants lifting Nick Hagen up

Throughout the whole week, there were also competitions between the classes to see who would raise the most money. The freshman won raising a total of $1,519, the sophomore’s raised $1,138, the junior’s raised was $371.90, the seniors total money raised was $1,138, and teachers donated $560.01. The student council wanted to reach out and give the teachers a way to donate, so they brought around a muffin and coffee cart in the morning, where the teachers were allowed to get their caffeine fix and donate to the cause. There were also lunch time activities throughout the week that consisted of waxing, shaving cream and cheese balls and gummy worms in whipped cream.

Ashton Jensen (freshman)smiling after getting a cream pie to the face.

The students at the OHS were all in when it comes to classroom competitions, which were individual classes of teachers competing to raise money. Mrs. Polly Shives’ English class competition between the the two freshman classes against the senior class was very competitive. They fought for a chance to win a pancake party. Mrs. Shives’ freshman raised a total of $1,000.08, and the seniors raised $1,012.25. The grand total of these english classes was $2,012.33. When Mrs. Shives was asked her reaction to the total, she said, “I cried and was very overwhelmed. It was kinda unreal to sit back and watch it all happen.” Mrs. Shives had explained how the two classes where competing until the last minutes, trying to stay ahead of each other. In the end, both classes were able to receive some sort of a reward.

With a total of the week at $7,296.30, the Cash Drive week was a success. All of the money will go directly to Dickinson High School to help them with the process of restoring their school.

Jade Hanson, Editor In Chief

Jade Hanson is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being a part of the OHS Magnet family, and she is ecstatic to be taking on the role of Editor- In -Chief. Aside from Magnet, Hanson is also involved in Big Brothers -Big Sisters, Student Council, Tennis (playing for the girls varsity team in the fall, and managing the boys in the spring), being the vice president of Key Club and playing the bass in Symphony Orchestra. When she isn’t editing stories, playing tennis or babysitting, she is spending every moment with her friends and family. Hanson enjoys spending time outside, especially when it involves fishing or four wheeling. Hanson’s friends would say she spends way too much time listening to country music, rewatching the Fast and Furious series and supporting the Vikings. The quote that Hanson lives by is found in Furious 7, when Vin Diesel (Dominic Toretto) said, “I don’t have friends, I’ve got family.” She is an avid coffee drinker who really enjoys her cappuccinos. Find her on Instagram and Snap @jadopotato02.

• Sending off love to Texas

Features

Locking out trouble

• Sending off love to Texas

Features

The good, the bad and the ugly

• Sending off love to Texas

Features

Scared students

• Sending off love to Texas

Features

Ultimate matchup: Super Bowl LII

• Sending off love to Texas

Features

Big help at the OHS