Becca Olson performs her bars routine

Harrison Kuhn

Becca Olson performs her bars routine

Gymnastics

The Owatonna Girls Gymnastics team is looking to get in outstanding shape to crush their opponents this season. Senior captain of the gymnastics team Erica Svenby said, “We want to make it back to the state meet for the third year in a row, as well as see more girls individually on the podium at state.” To earn those goals Svenby said, “We start our practices with the end in mind and we are running routines and gaining stamina so we know we will execute every move perfectly.” The Huskies are looking for key players this week Svenby said, “We are looking to Lindsay Bangs this year to get some new moves. She has great form in all of her skills and is really valuable. Our senior, Becca Olson, is also working on perfecting some skills and working on more challenging skills. In the end there isn’t a girl who we don’t value, everyone contributes to the success we have as a team.”

The OHS Gymnastics’s team has high potential after earning a spot in the state tournament last year. When asked what his goals are for the season, Head coach Tom Smith said, “To stay healthy, win the conference, win sections and place higher at state than we did last year.” To obtain those goals, Coach Smith said, “The biggest thing to do is to get the girls back into gymnastics shape.” Last year the team only lost one senior, so they have a lot of promise going deeper into the season and finishing strong.