Dancing Queens

This year, a new sport is heading to their first season at OHS. It is the Dance Team. A myriad of OHS students are already involved in dance through the local studios of Just For Kix (JFK) or Jill Hoggard Academy of Dance. Dancers from these two studios will make up the team of the inaugural season of the OHS Danceline. It is exciting that dancers will finally be able to compete through the school.

Senior captains Sydney Sampson, Samantha Hager and Emily Prohaski have taken the monumental role of setting the tone the new team, and they are setting precedent for the team in the future. The captains are assisting the coaches in organizing and helping improve talent of their dancers. What sets these captains apart from other sports is that they help choreograph each dance for the team in addition to picking the uniforms for each competition season. The team consists of grades 8-12, and they participated in tryouts to determine the four teams – varsity kick, junior varsity kick, varsity jazz and junior varsity jazz.

This first season has many expectations, for captain Hager the season she has high hopes, Hager said, “I’m hoping we do well. Going up to some of the competitions last year and seeing how good some of the other teams were makes me nervous. I’m hoping that we can dance together really cleanly and give the season everything we have.” The dancers put in a lot of work for this team, as they dance with their studio in addition to the team’s everyday practice.

There are three competitions this dance season. They are on Dec. 2, 9 and 16. The competition season, from December and ending with state in February, is full of high hopes and expectations for the new OHS Dance Team.

Mary Sager, Writer

I am Mary Sager and I am a junior here at OHS.  I am involved in cross country, SHOC, track, concert band, working at the movie theater, and of course the OHS Magnet.  I enjoy those thing along with watching The Office and listening to Mumford and Sons.  This is my first year being apart of the OHS Magnet and I am very excited to see where it takes me and where I can take the school.