Filed under News, Showcase

Lighting of the Lights

The Lighting of the Lights starts the christmas activities in Owatonna. It started in the 1990’s with people gathering to listen to carolers and to watch the business turning their lights on when Santa pointed to their buildings.

Greta Jacobson leading the carolers

The Lighting of the Lights has since grown from a small gathering into a winter parade.

Shirley Schultz from the Owatonna Chamber of Commerce said, “Last year I think we had two to three thousand people come down and watch, even when it’s cold.”   This year the weather was in the mid-forties and downtown was very busy.

This year’s Lighting of the Lights was on Thursday, Nov. 30 it started at 6:00 p.m. and lasted until 7:30 p.m. It started on North Cedar Ave. and continued on to Central Park. The turn out for this year’s parade was astonishing, having nearly as many people present as the homecoming parade. The parade included various businesses in town, also the Owatonna High School State Championship Football Teams rode on a float.

In Central Park the lighting of the christmas tree begins with the Owatonna Carolers singing, while cookies and hot cider were spread around. The parade, followed by the Lighting of the Lights, will take place again next year. The City of Owatonna would love to see as many people as possible next year. For more holiday fun check out these other activities in Owatonna.

Upcoming Events in Owatonna

Friday, Dec. 9

• Cocoa with Santa at the Owatonna Arts center from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m.
  • Toys for Tots concert at Trinity Lutheran Church beginning at 6:30 p.m.  The doors are open at 6:00 p.m.

Saturday, Dec. 10

• “A Toast to Winter” At Owatonna Arts Center at 5:15 social hour begins. Tickets are $75 for more information contact the Owatonna Arts Center. (507)451-0533 or email [email protected]
  •  Throughout the Month of December The Minnesota State Public School Orphanage Museum. Is having “Christmas at The Orphanage” from Tuesday through Sunday from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.  “Christmas at The Orphanage” include learning about the children’s holiday experience at the orphanage.

Serena Omangi, Multimedia Editor

Serena Omangi is a senior who is creative centered. Photography and filming videos are her specialty. This is Omangi’s second year in Magnet. She is also involved in NHS and Exchange club. Omangi is a vintage clothes collector and a film lover. A future goal for Omangi is to have here picture on the cover of Time magazine.

• Lighting of the Lights

Scouting for Achievement

• Lighting of the Lights

Huskies “Tackle Cancer”

• Lighting of the Lights

Part IV: OHS welcomes new teachers

• Lighting of the Lights

Part III: OHS welcomes new teachers

• Lighting of the Lights

OHS welcomes new staff