High stakes competition

Christensen

OHS Mock Trial A Team

Arianna Forcelle, Writer

The Owatonna High School Mock Trial team has now progressed to the regional division tournaments. The regional division is the beginning of the end within mock trial. The team will either move to a higher level of competition or their season will be over. Mock trial will go into a round division process. Coach Ann Christensen, says she is seeing such a great improvement in the team from the beginning of the year to now and she has great confidence the team will move on. The team competes against other teams in the southern region for five consecutive rounds of competition as a ruling out process to find the top team.

Currently the team just finished their third round, scoring 2-1. If they win the next two rounds, they are guaranteed to go to state. The last time mock trial has had a consecutive streak of state tournaments was in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s. The Owatonna team has a chance of starting that streak once again. Senior captain Sheldon Jensen said, “This year has been such a rebuilding year for the program, and I am excited to see the team grow and become more confident within the material over these next few tournaments.” The last tournament for Owatonna was in Rice County and they went against Shattuck-Saint Mary’s and won by over twenty points. The next tournament for the mock trial team will be held in just a few weeks.