Finishing at finals

Harrison Kuhn
Sophomore Colten Kamholtz attempts a twist

The boys swimming team had an electrifying and uplifting end to their regular season schedule with a tie against Faribault on Jan. 25 and a win against Albert Lea on Feb. 1.  The Big 9 conference is a tough place to compete in, but the formidable opponents never ruined the spirits of the guys on the team. The last home meet against Faribault was senior night for the seniors Spencer Steckelberg, Josh Belting, Nick Sande, Evan Steiger and Ben Stelter. The seniors were honored before the meet for their commitment to the team

With the regular season dual meets out if the way, the swimmers turn their attention to the Big 9 conference meet on Feb. 10 and the Sections meet on Feb. 21 and 23.  The team’s main focus is taper, which, in a nutshell, is to decrease in the yards swam at practice so there is more energy left at the Big 9 and Sections meet. Taper signifies the end of the season, and as most of the hard work has been put in, the refinement of technique the attention of practice.

Senior captain Evan Steiger reflects on the last two regular season dual meets, and he said, “It was fun because we did a lot better than last year.” The Huskies really found their success towards the end of the season, and they hope to carry this momentum forward into the end of the season.  

Harrison Kuhn
Junior Nathan Buegler breathes in his stroke

The JV Big 9 meet is the end of the season for the JV swimmers. Assistant Coach Ms. Tara Lammers comments on the end of the season for the JV swimmers, who had their last swim meet on Feb. 5 at the Northfield Middle School, and she said, “It went really well, we had eighteen lifetime best swims.” Ms. Lammers also shared her anticipations for the varsity swimmers who are competing at the Big 9 conference meet this Saturday Feb. 10. Lammers said, “I think it will go well, the guys have put in a lot of hard work and they have dropped time tremendously throughout the season.” The coaches and the swimmers are excited for Big 9, and they are expecting some good time drops as the swimmers go through taper.

The varsity’s season ends with the Big 9 conference meet on Feb. 10 at the Rochester Recreation Center and the Section swim meet on Feb. 21 and 23 at the Rochester Recreation Center. Good luck to the boys.

About the Photographer
Harrison Kuhn, Photographer

Hi there! I'm Harrison Kuhn, currently a senior at OHS and I photograph for the Magnet. I've been on staff for the better part of two years, and have...

• Finishing at finals

Sports

Record breaking Huskies

• Finishing at finals

Lending a helping hand

• Finishing at finals

What you need to know for U.S. Bank Stadium

• Finishing at finals

Features

The need for trade schools

• Finishing at finals

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery: State quarter-finals game