OHS prepares for the 60th annual pops concert

OHS Concert Choir performing at Big 9

OHS Concert Choir performing at Big 9

Julia Hansen

Julia Hansen

OHS Concert Choir performing at Big 9

The end of the school year calls for ending strong with the final band, orchestra and choir concert. The Pops concert, which includes all music, will perform their fun, final pieces for this year. This performance will mark 60 years of Pops concerts for OHS. The Pops Concert is about the audience and the interaction between the kids. It is oriented to celebrate music and be fun for all people. OHS is proud to have such a supportive and captive audience. The students are held accountable and have a goal of unity for this concert because it’s the last performance with that group of students.

Mr. Guenther has been a conductor for the OHS bands for 16 years. The Pops concert is reflective for him. He thinks back to the beginning of the year, sees where the students started, where they are now and where they are going. Mr. Guenther said,  “For our goodbye to the seniors, we picked a neat but very challenging piece. This is the hardest song the concert band has played.” This year is the fourth year Mrs. Justice has been a conductor for the OHS orchestras. She has been both a performer and director in the Pops concert. Mrs. Justice said,  “This is the most engaging, upbeat and fun concert played the whole year.” Come support the love of music at the 2018 Pops concert that will be held on Tuesday, May 22 at 7 p.m. in the OHS gymnasium.

Julia Hansen, Writer and Editor

Julia Hansen is a senior at the Owatonna Senior High School and is in her second year of Magnet. Hansen is involved in basketball, concert band as a french horn player and a leader in Young Life. She is currently waitressing at a resort and loves to babysit whenever she can. Her plan after high school is to attend Mankato State University for a major in law enforcement and a minor in business. Hansen’s reason for joining Magnet was to better her writing, interview skills and to become part of a team. Her favorite thing about Magnet is hearing people say they enjoy reading her articles and watching other staff members improve on their stories.

• OHS prepares for the 60th annual pops concert

Features

Locking out trouble

Opinion

Editorial: Safety at OHS

New opportunities for the first Miscast Cabaret

Student Life

Seniors preparing for college

Scouting for Achievement