OHS vampires come to life in the annual student council blood drive

The annual Blood Drive is making its appearance at OHS, and it will be held on Oct. 31 in the wrestling room. The OHS student council hosts the red cross blood drive every year. The blood drive is a great way to support the community and to help. Students have to be 16 years old with parents permission to donate, and any student older than 16 can donate without a signed permission slip. Spots are limited, so sign up as soon as possible. Sign ups will end at 3:00 p.m. on Oct. 26, and you can sign up in the career center at any time. Students can talk to seniors Lauren Arthur and Matthew Bueltel if they have questions. Mrs. Sandra Justice, the OHS Orchestra teacher and student council adviser, is another great resource to learn more information if you have any questions.

Donating is a great way to help people around the country in need. Student council members goals for this event is to greet every student with a smile and snacks to ease the nerves. Any student that want a “blood buddy” who will sit with the person donating blood and offer a distraction. The red cross workings are professionally trained to make people feel as comfortable as possible. Giving blood is free and will only take a few minutes out of class. Once signed up, students will be given a pass with a time to come exit class and head down to the wrestling room to give blood. The blood can help up to three people’s lives. Also with donating, an estimated 6.8 million people in the U.S. donate blood. Mrs. Justice said, “Eat a good meal the night before and a good breakfast the day of, keep drinking water and stay hydrated!” This is a great and easy way to help many people.