Don’t rain on our parade

Homecoming parade will begin at 3:30 p.m. downtown

Shay Salinas

Photo of Harley Huskie greeting fans in 2016

Blake Kubat, Writer

After a dangerous storm flew through Owatonna on Thursday night, Owatonna Public Schools cancelled school. This raised questions regarding the homecoming events that were scheduled for this afternoon.  After weighing out options by OHS Student Council, the OHS Homecoming Committee and OPS Administration, the parade has been been delayed to 3:30 p.m.

The parade will go through downtown Owatonna, starting on the corner of N. Cedar Ave. and E. Rose St. There is a total of 20 floats in the parade, the OHS Marching Band will be performing and the Top 12 Homecoming candidates will be riding in the parade as well. On Wednesday, Sept.19, students decorated their homecoming floats at the Steele County Fairgrounds, in preparation for the upcoming parade.  

During the float building on Wednesday, senior Grace Barner and 14 other members were  decorating the Girls Swim and Dive float and Barner said, “ Our team picked the theme of Roast the Rockets because the football team is playing the John Marshall Rockets at the homecoming game.” The floats include mostly sports and clubs provided at OHS. All floats are responsible for providing their own candy to throw to the kids. Although homecoming queen Molly Hawkins will be on the royalty float, she was there to support OHS Girls Soccer. Hawkins said, “ I was helping the girls soccer team build their float because usually I would be riding that one, but this year I will be riding a convertible at the parade.”   

The homecoming game tonight is still on as scheduled if the power returns.  If power does not return at OHS, the game will be postponed until Saturday at 1 p.m.  OHS Magnet will continue to update when information is available.

Editor’s note: Due to power outage this story will be updated with pictures from float building on Monday.