Huskies “tackle cancer”

Devin Omangi

This year’s design for the tackle cancer t-shirt. T-shirts can be ordered in the career center or at the Hat Chic Clothing Co. Cost is $10

Devin Omangi, Writer

The 2018 OHS Football team and the fall cheerleading team are sponsoring the Randy Shaver Tackle Football Fundraiser. In the past few years, this event was called Sack Cancer. In previous years all money raised had been donated to local agencies helping Owatonna families dealing with cancer. This year, Owatonna will be participating in the Randy Shaver Tackle Cancer fund for cancer research and patient aid. Randy Shaver is a sports journalist for KARE 11. He was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma 20 years ago and won his battle against the cancer. Shaver started his Cancer Research fund in 2003. Sadly, in August of 2018, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Mrs. Nancy Williams has been coordinating the cancer awareness fundraiser in Owatonna for five years. Mrs. Williams said, “We went back to support it this year because it’s an issue for him and it’s close to home.” This is the fifth year the OHS Football and Cheerleading teams have participated in raising money for cancer awareness. A Dash for Cash will take place on the Tackle Cancer game day, which is on Friday, Oct. 12, during second period at OHS. Staff will collect donations from students. The second period class that raises the most money will win donuts and juice provided by the Owatonna Football team. The football game will be held at the OHS at 7 p.m vs. Northfield. Volunteers will be working at the game to collect donations near the gates and cheerleaders will be carrying donation buckets into the stands at halftime.Owatonna has raised over $12,000 to help the cancer cause.

The Tackle Cancer t-shirt order forms are located in the Career Center at Ms. Roxi Stewarts desk. The cost of the shirts are $10 and students must pay when the shirts are ordered. T-shirts can be ordered until Oct. 5. The t-shirts are available for pickup on Oct. 10-11. Tackle Cancer t-shirts are also available for purchase from Hat Chic Clothing Co. for anyone in the community that wants to help support Tackle Cancer. Everyone who bought a shirt is encouraged to wear it to the game on Oct 12 to show their support.