Seniors preparing for college

Nevin Schroeder

students waring college sweatshirt.

Nevin Schroeder, Writer

October is known as College Knowledge month, where seniors are preparing for their future. OHS staff will be wearing  their college apparel on and throughout the month. Staff members will answer any questions and give their personal experience and advice on the college they attended. On Wednesday, Oct. 24, seniors will be given all day to apply to colleges. They will have help getting their college transcript ready and can ask any questions they might have about the process. Parent college night will be on the same day. This is when parents can come learn about financial aid and if they need to take that step. If college is the plan after high school, seniors need to find someone who knows them well and ask for a letter of recommendation. This letter is a great source for colleges to know your characteristics and capabilities.

Scholarships offered at OHS will open up in November and December. Mrs. Roxi Stewart is a great source for any questions about applying for scholarships. The website Fastweb is used to apply for early applications for college. OHS counselors will have more information on early applications. Seniors get two college visits, once they are scheduled, seniors have the responsibility to fill out a sheet in the career center for the visit to be an excused absence. Senior Morgan Masche is applying to Riverland Community College to become a nurse and asked her on how she feels about college. Masche said, “College is not everything, but it is what you need now days to be able to get a decent job.”

If one has questions, go talk to a counselor in the career center. Ms.McKay has been a counselor at OHS for 13 years and has helped many students with this process. Ms.McKay said, “Talk to different colleges when they come to OHS and fill out as many scholarships as you can.” Choosing the right college is a hard decision for many. College representatives are in the career center regularly. One can make and appointment through Mrs Stewart. College and Career Fair comes to OHS on Nov.13 in the gymnasium. Make sure to go and ask questions and get information on the college or career.