Football team is field goal oriented

Jade Hanson

OHS Huskies run out onto the field

Emily Maine, Writer

Coming off of a state championship, the Owatonna Huskies Football team has made tremendous efforts to stay on top. With a 5-0 record, and such a young team, each player has to step up and work hard to improve and to step up against the competition. As the season is continuing to progress, the team has been making vast improvements, which is a great sign as section play starts in a few weeks.

Early in the season, the starting quarterback junior Sol Havelka, twisted his knee during practice. This incident opened up a spot for sophomore Brayden Truelson to step up on the field. Head Coach Jeff Williams said, “Brayden has done a nice job of coming in and running the show.” Now that Havelka is healthy, the team will get the chance to see how the season goes with two strong quarterbacks. As far as what the team needs in order to continue making improvement for the rest of the season, Coach Williams said, “Just gaining experience, getting used to the speed of play and the variety of decisions that they have to make.”

Senior Captain Jason Williamson said, “We are having a pretty good year, so we just have to keep getting better by practicing hard everyday.” It seems as though the team is prepared to keep up the intensity.Their unending perseverance got them to the standing they are already in, and they show no signs of backing down. The team plays the last regular season home game against New Prague at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 17.