Behind the scenes of NHS

Source: https://www.nhs.us Press release photo

Blake Kubat, Writer

The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. The program is more than just an honor roll, NHS serves to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership and character. NHS Adviser Mrs. Emily Paur said, “There are four pillars of NHS; scholarship, leadership, character and service.”

Throughout the year, NHS students do a variety of activities individually such as helping at their church, youth sports, the clothesline, working events at OMS and OHS and more. As a group, they focus on helping out with Toys for Tots, ringing bells for the Salvation Army and putting on the annual talent show to raise funds (each year the students in NHS decide what group will benefit from the funds collected). These characteristics have been associated with memberships in the organization since it was Nationally established in 1921. Their next big event will be Toys for Tots in December and their main school event is the talent show that is in March.

Students from Owatonna High School are recognized for their academic and extracurricular achievements, by being inducted into NHS. Mrs. Paur said, “In the spring, all sophomores with at least a 3.7 GPA, and juniors with at least a 3.5 GPA are sent a letter inviting them to apply.” The application process for these students consists of a list of requirements to apply. Additionally, they need two letter of recommendations and an essay that has been reviewed by a faculty member. Students are then notified when they are accepted.

On Oct. 17 NHS inducted seniors for the school year. Senior Dallas Wetzel was one of the seniors inducted into NHS during October. He said, “I have been in NHS since October, 17 and I did my Eagle Scout project that involves leaving books and taking them to read.” This is one of many things NHS members do to help the community.

This year’s president is Zach Barrett, Vice President is Sydney Kretlow, Secretary/Treasurer is Emma Maher and the Historian is Matt Bueltel. The induction ceremony is in the spring on Monday, April 8, 2019. During the ceremony, new members will receive their certificates and new officers are installed for the following school year.