Curiosity killed the dog

Jackson Hemann in the lead role of Christopher

Jack Lehrer

Jack Lehrer

Elyssa Munch, Writer

The 2018 fall play is featuring ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.’ The play follows a 15 year old high functioning autistic teen named Christopher. Christopher was found with the dead body of his neighbors dog, and even though he was innocent, he falls as a suspect. Throughout the play, Christopher is working to solve the mystery of who really killed the dog, all while facing a world that is difficult for him to navigate.

The main reason for choosing this as the fall play is explained by Director Mr. Erik Etrheim. He said, “I was really interested in exploring what the themes of the play explored, which are what life is like in this world as an autistic person.” There are only four cast members that have a single role throughout the play, and the other six members have more than one role throughout the show. He said, “A challenge for some of the actors who play multiple parts is creating a different character for each part.” Freshman Jackson Hemann, who portrays Christopher, said, “Not keeping eye contact with Christopher is difficult for me, especially when I am on stage.”

New technology is taking the stage for this upcoming show. Mr. Eitrheim said, “There is a lot of video and audio with this show. Some of the video stuff, we have never worked with before, so that will be interesting to figure out.” The set for this play is quite unique and has only been done once before at OHS in the past 20 years. The plan is to install a large 24’ long x 16’ wide platform above the seats in the center section of the auditorium, and this platform is where most of the play will take place. The purpose of a set design like this is to create more intimacy between the audience and the performers. To have the audience feel like they are watching the events happen in real time.

As to why people should come to the show, Mr. Eitrheim said, “It is a beautiful show that runs the gambit from really funny to dramatic and moving. It is a unique story with lots of surprises. It will be a show that people will remember, and it strikes you in ways that you don’t expect.” Jackson also said, “It really shows the world from a different perspective than yours. It is presented very well and it will be a great show.”

The performance is running at 7 p.m. in the OHS auditorium from Nov. 8 through Nov. 10., and at 1:30 p.m. on Nov. 11. Adult tickets are $7 and student tickets are $5.

Elyssa Munch, Writer

Elyssa Munch is a junior at OHS. She made the decision to join Magnet because she wanted to become a better writer and try something new. She is involved...

• Curiosity killed the dog

Sports

Record breaking Huskies

• Curiosity killed the dog

Lending a helping hand

• Curiosity killed the dog

What you need to know for U.S. Bank Stadium

• Curiosity killed the dog

Features

The need for trade schools

• Curiosity killed the dog

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery: State quarter-finals game