Case in point

Charity Jackson

Lawyer Joel Eaton advises witnesses

Charity Jackson, Writer

In mock trial, students are given a case and then imitate a trial. The team is presented with a case from the MN Bar Association, and they are given three months to practice. Competitions against other schools take place in a real courtroom, with real judges, where students gain a real experience involving what actual lawyers and witnesses do. Students are scored based on their ability to present their facts and case, or their character rather than whether they win or lose the case. In this year’s case, a county commissioner filed a lawsuit against a local newspaper, suing for defamation of character, alleging that a story ran about them was entirely false.

They gain confidence,  public speaking skills, thinking on their feet, teamwork, cooperation, strong work ethic, discipline and a better understanding of law.

— Ann Christensen

Being in mock trial grants students the chance to obtain an array of skills. Adviser Ann Christensen said, “They gain confidence,  public speaking skills, thinking on their feet, teamwork, cooperation, strong work ethic, discipline and a better understanding of law.” Owatonna’s teams have been successful in the past, and for the past three years the A Team has made their way to regionals, with the B Team not far behind them.

This season, mock trial is losing one of their coaches, Lawyer Scott Haugen, after eight years. Although not being replaced, former co-lawyer coach Joel Eaton will remain aiding the team, solo. Another difference is the number of kids trying out. This year there is only one returning senior, and a large number of juniors, sophomores and freshman. Junior Joseph Brueggemeier said, “We have a lot of young talent which is really looking up to the good side, because if we can train these younger folk into properly arguing their material, then in the future we will have a very talented team.” This year Owatonna will have two teams that will be taken to their first competition in January.