Speech season starting up

Back to Article
Back to Article

Speech season starting up

Speech team returners Parker Nelson and Jessica Pieper answer questions during Academic Support.

Ashlikay Castillo

Ashlikay Castillo

Ashlikay Castillo

Ashlikay Castillo, Writer

Speech is an activity where students choose a speech out of thirteen different categories to compete with at meets. At least one speech needs to be chosen to present a few times at one meet. If the contestant makes it to the final round with their speech, they’ll need to give their speech again. Anyone can join the team as they begin taking kids in seventh grade. Mrs. Marcia  Anderson said,” We just started having the team be seventh grade through junior high last year, and its worked very well.”

Speech is very flexible club. Members have the opportunity to still participate in their other school activities in addition to being on the speech team.

”The thing I like most about speech is that it is very flexible. It allows me to work 30 plus hours a week and then I can have speech go around my work schedule.””

— Parker Nelson

Practices for the team start in December. They are one on one sessions with the coach, and can be done either before or after school. Members will meet with a coach at least once a week. The team has their first home Mock Meet on Saturday, Jan. 26, located at OMS on the first floor hallway (100A-113), in the Cafeteria, on the Learning Stairs and in the Media Center’s. The team also has another home meet from 7a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Mar. 9

Skills that students can gain from speech are: writing, organization, confidence, rhetorical analysis and delivery polish. Meetings for those interested in just starting speech are on Thursday, Nov. 15 in G-303 at 7:30 a.m. for the high schoolers, and on the Learning Stairs from 2:40 p.m. to 4:15 p.m for the middle schoolers.

Ashlikay Castillo, Writer

This is Ashlikay Castillo and she is a senior at Owatonna High School. Castillo is involved in link crew, managing the OHS Girls Basketball team, plays...

• Speech season starting up

Student Life

Caroling caroling through the town

• Speech season starting up

Student Life

Knowledge War

• Speech season starting up

Student Life

Art Splash showcases OHS Talent

• Speech season starting up

Student Life

Helping the community prosper

• Speech season starting up

Student Life

Cash drive brings out the little kid in all