The end for traditional TV?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The end for traditional TV?

Netflix constantly gaining subscribers.

Netflix constantly gaining subscribers.

Wall Street Journal

Netflix constantly gaining subscribers.

Wall Street Journal

Wall Street Journal

Netflix constantly gaining subscribers.

Kenzie Haberman, Writer

Some of the best memories of today’s high schooler’s childhood was waiting a whole week to then rush to the couch to see the finales of their favorite shows. Only being able to watch their a show or movie at a scheduled time brought their childhood-selves great adrenaline and excitement. However, as they have grown up, technology has advanced and is changing the world of entertainment forever.

Media streaming services began with Netflix in 2007, and Hulu started in early 2008. Many other media streaming businesses’ soon followed when the popularity of these streaming advancements started to skyrocket. Netflix is one of the most valuable media companies in the world as they are currently dominating the video streaming market. In the first three months of 2018, Netflix had gained 7.5 million new subscribers, with 5.5 million of them being outside of the US. Netflix has added half as many subscribers in the three months as Hulu has subscribers in total. Netflix subscribers worldwide

Traditional TV is on the downfall, especially among young people who rarely turn on the television, or even own one. The basic subscription for a Netflix subscription is $7.99 per month whereas cable is an estimate of $14-$18 a month. Junior Cecilia Nicholson said, “I used to always watch TV when I was younger, but now I just watch Netflix on my iPad.”

Many large television companies claim that media streaming companies like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon have ruined traditional TV forever. Top shows aren’t hitting their target market and are attracting older viewers. There is a continuing concern about younger viewers leaving conventional TV networks, especially cable networks.

I used to always watch TV when I was younger, but now I just watch Netflix on my iPad.”

— Cecilia Nicholson

Netflix allows viewers to watch all of their longtime favorites like Grey’s Anatomy, Friends and The Office, but it also gives you the option of ‘Netflix Originals’ which are not available on TV. The most popular ‘Netflix Originals’ include Stranger Things, Orange Is the New Black, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Black Mirror. Hulu also has some good binge-worthy original shows like The Handmaid’s Tale, Castle Rock, Casual, and Difficult People. Amazon Prime’s top original shows feature The Man in the High Castle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and The New Yorker Presents.  

Kenzie Haberman, Writer

Kenzie Haberman is a junior at the Owatonna High School. She is involved in DECA, SHOC and loves going to Young life events. Haberman works as a lifeguard...

• The end for traditional TV?

A Very Merry Netflix

• The end for traditional TV?

Hallmark Holiday

• The end for traditional TV?

Art Splash 2018

• The end for traditional TV?

25 Days of Tradition

• The end for traditional TV?

Ralph Breaks The Internet