Helping the community prosper

Back to Article
Back to Article

Helping the community prosper

Blake Kubat, Writer

Key Club is a student-led service club at the high school. The group focuses on volunteering in the community to help those in need and encourage others to do so as well. Key Club is also a good way to gain valuable volunteer experience with a great group of students.

This year, Key Club has a change in leadership. New adviser, Ms. Halley Purkey said, “There has been a big learning curve. I am thankful for the officers and the members for their patience as I get my adviser sea legs.” Even though this is Ms. Purkey’s first year being the adviser for Key Club, she already has felt the impact that this has done for the community. Purkey said, “The best part of advising this club is witnessing the members’ passion for service and helping others.” Junior Tessa Schirmer has been a member for three years and is Key Clubs current president. Schirmer said, “Key Club has brought me a sense of community and importance. Through all of the service I have done these past three years, I know I have impacted my community and made it a better place. I only hope the love of serving one’s community will continue throughout our school and community.” Key Club has impacted Schirmer in many different ways, and she has the love to continue helping this community.

This year, Key Club has done many local community service events. They have helped the Kiwanis Club with their annual peanut sales, decorating for Halloween and Thanksgiving at Koda Living Community, trick-or-treating for canned goods to donate to the Owatonna Food Shelf and the lighting of luminaries at the Village of Yesteryear. They have many upcoming events, but their next one is making Christmas ornaments for people at the Crisis Resource Center in Owatonna. There is no set date for this event yet.

Blake Kubat, Writer

Blake is a senior at the OHS. This will be his second year being apart of the Magnet family. Outside of Magnet, he likes to spend time with friends and...

• Helping the community prosper

Student Life

Caroling caroling through the town

• Helping the community prosper

A Very Merry Netflix

• Helping the community prosper

Sports

The final countdown

• Helping the community prosper

OHS Counselors reach out a helping hand

• Helping the community prosper

Sports

Back to the hardwood