A fight to the top

Tommy Lehrer

Isaiah Noeldner takes down Winona wrestler

Hunter Martin, Writer

The OHS Wrestling team has started off strong this season, winning two tournaments and their first Big 9 meet. The team had a close call at the Faribault Invitational, barely winning with a score of 199-198.5. Sophomore  Kaden Nelson was named Most Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament. The wrestling team’s second tournament, the Chaska/Chanhassen Invite, was another win with the team’s final score of 205. In this tournament, Senior Cade King and sophomore Blake West both won their individual weight classes. The wrestlers first Big 9 meet of the season was against Winona. Winona forfeited eight matches which lead the Huskies to an effortless win of 63-11.

I think we are going to be really tough this year and I think we have a shot at making it to finals

— Adam Woitalla

Last year, the team won the Big 9 championship against their biggest rival, Albert Lea, whom they have been in a battle with over first place for the past 22 years.  The main goals of this year is to be back to back Big 9 champions and to place high in the statewide tournament. Head coach Adam Woitalla said, “The goal is to make the state tournament and place in it. I think this team can do that.” In order to achieve such high goals, the team has been working hard with morning practices and long runs to improve overall performance.  Team captain, Cade King said, “I think we are going to be really tough this year and I think we have a shot at making it to finals.” The team is currently ranked third in the state. The next meet is at Mankato West High School, on Thursday, Dec. 13 at 5 p.m. where the Huskies take on Mankato West and Northfield.