ISD 761 School Board approves building a new high school

Luke Kubicek

The bond to build a new high school failed by 120 votes

Luke Kubicek, Writer and editor

On Nov. 26 The Owatonna School Board heard the recommendation for a new high school facility from the task. In that recommendation the task force recommended the building of a new high school and facilities also, the demolition of the previous high school. On Monday, Dec. 3 they had a work session opened to the public, but without formal agenda or public forum in order to discuss the recommendation. Also during this work session, they received generous gifts from local businesses in the community. These gifts were, $20 million dollars from Federated Insurance, In kind donations of glass from Viracon and auditorium, musical and storage donations from Wenger.

On Dec. 10 before making their decision, the school board heard many teachers, parents, grandparents, former students and business owners opinion on a new high school. Sixteen people spoke and all 16 supported the idea of a new high school. Most of the people who spoke talked about many of the same points, but they all added their own personal perspective and impact. The public forum was approximately an hour. School board chairman, Mr. Mark Sebring said, “It was good to hear the healthy views that others in the community have and they do not all just center around brick, mortar and cost.”

It was good to hear the healthy views that others in the community have and they do not all just center around brick, mortar and cost.

— Mark Sebring

After listening to the community, all board members voted yes to a new high school.This is a huge step towards a new high school. Superintendent, Mr. Jeff Elstad, is tasked with moving this process on to the next steps. Superintendent Elstad said, “It’s getting real, but I would tell you it’s a challenge that I love because it means we are doing great things for our kids.” The cost of the new high school is still not final and may still change because of local businesses still offering financial support. The new school would still use the same curriculum and textbooks. However, it is planned to get all new equipment and furniture. By Mar. 15, 2019 the official ballot language will be approved. It will then will go to the public, which will be presented by Mr. Elstad.