Boys hockey icing the competition

Serena Omangi

Collin Pederson Fights for the puck

Solomon Havelka, Writer

The Owatonna Boys Hockey team is just starting up the season. After a long football season, the team is able to start playing games now that everyone is back and ready to go. Earlier in the season, many players left the team, making a thin junior varsity and varsity roster. Coach Adam Trautman was excited to see who will step up for the team. Trautman said, “I think the sophomore class will need to step up, Dominic Valento, Zach Kubicek, and Wyatt Oldefendt will need to play big roles and also play a lot later in the season.” With the fall sports going late, the first few games got pushed back. Trautman said, “The kids coming back and the ones already here have a great work ethic and ability to pick things up both offensively and defensively.”

The young guy have to catch up to the pace of high school hockey, our veterans need to help them and lead by example, and our goaltender needs to continue the high level of play.

— Josh Storm

The boys hockey team showed work ethic and passion in their first game. The Huskies had a great first win, taking down Albert Lea in overtime 3-2. Senior Captain, Andrew Munns said, “It was a great team win and was a good first test.” With many tough games coming up head Coach Josh Storm said, “ The young guy have to catch up to the pace of high school hockey, our veterans need to help them and lead by example, and our goaltender needs to continue the high level of play.” The young Owatonna team is playing a tough schedule with many city schools, playing teams like Mahtomedi, Chanhassen and Hastings. Coach Storm said, “To compete with the metro team as well as the high end Big 9 schools is an entire team effort.” Even though they are playing many high ranking schools, the team is ready to rise to the challenge and have a great season. The next game will be Thursday, Dec. 13 at 7 p.m.at John Marshall.