Filed under Showcase, Sports

The final countdown

OHS football players finish with all-state honors

Back to Article
Back to Article

The final countdown

Chris Lewis lifts up Coach Johnson in celebration after the title game. Lewis will appear at the All-State Game on Saturday, Dec. 15

Serena Omangi

Serena Omangi

Serena Omangi

The football state tournament has come and gone, but the game is not over. With another championship title under the OHS Football teams belt and another ring on their finger, some Owatonna players have the opportunity to forge ahead at the next level. They will continue playing the game that gave them so much

Serena Omangi
Jason Williamson is a finalist for Mr. Football and will be honored on Dec. 16

Senior Jason Williamson had an exceptional high school football career, with 7,012 total career rushing yards and a state record of 102 career touchdowns. He has also earned several prestigious awards over the past four years. For the second year in a row, Williamson was named Gatorade Minnesota Player of the Year. He joins Michael Floyd as the only other player to win this award twice. Williamson said, “It means a lot because it’s like a “coaches voted kind of thing”, but it doesn’t really matter to me, all the awards and stuff.” Williamson is also a Mr. Football finalist; this award will be revealed on Dec. 16, 2018. He was awarded the Offensive Player of the Year award, given by the Big 9.

He goes out there and kicks their tail.

— Delles Solie

Also given by the Big 9, Senior Chris Lewis received the Lineman of the Year award. On Lewis, Coach Delles Solie said, “He knows that he’s a good player and that he can go out there and impose his will on his opponent. And he does, he just goes out there and kicks their tail.” Williamson and Lewis will be playing in the All-State game on Saturday, Dec. 15 at 1 p.m. in the US Bank Stadium.

Update: On Sunday, Dec. 16 Jason Williamson was announced Mr. Football for the State of Minnesota.  This is the third award of the week after Gatorade player of the year and the Minnesota Associated Press Player of the Year.

About the Contributors
Emily Maine, Writer

Emily Maine is junior at OHS. She’s involved in track and field, choir, link crew, and she works on the weekends. She spends her down time reading, watching...

Serena Omangi, Multi-media Editor

Serena Omangi is a senior who is creative minded. Photography and filming videos are her specialty. This is Omangi’s second year in Magnet. She is also...

• The final countdown

Sports

Girls basketball bounces past a challenging season

• The final countdown

Sports

Making waves

• The final countdown

Bold and cold

• The final countdown

Fresh Flicks

• The final countdown

OHS prepares for new lock down procedures